Is this a fair wage?

Started by Technical Ben, Aug 24, 2012, 12:47:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

£2.60 for a trainee programmer?!  :o

http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/detailjob.aspx?j=SPA/36247&direct=1

I think they are trying it on there.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

cavillas

Just a cynical ploy of paying slave wages for maximum hours.  This sort of company should be named and shamed nationally, along with the government for not only allowing it but encouraging it.
------
Alf :)

pctech

They don't seem to vet where the jobs come from.

A friend of mine who was unemployed got told to apply for a job from an employment agency but he could not get hold the guy, he showed me the print out, I did a check on the company domain and the so called company name and it was just one guy operating from a house (domain was registered as an individual) so told him to tell Job Centre plus what I'd found and they then revealed they were having trouble getting hold of the guy too over some issues with paperwork.

zappaDPJ

It's a pittance but £2.60 is the minimum rate for a job given the 'apprenticeship' label.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

I think its possibly a fair wage. Often apprenticeships pay for travel to and from work as well as, obviously, giving the individual all the training required to carry out their duties. Given the future opportunity this short term position could generate from the on the job experience and training, it could possibly be a fair wage.
Lance
_____

gizmo71

That's far more than some of the 'programmers' here are worth! :rant2: :laugh:
SimRacing.org.uk Director General | Team Shark Online Racing - on the podium since 1993
Up the Mariners!

Rik

It doesn't seem fair to me.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Aug 24, 2012, 13:09:49
They don't seem to vet where the jobs come from.

A friend of mine who was unemployed got told to apply for a job from an employment agency but he could not get hold the guy, he showed me the print out, I did a check on the company domain and the so called company name and it was just one guy operating from a house (domain was registered as an individual) so told him to tell Job Centre plus what I'd found and they then revealed they were having trouble getting hold of the guy too over some issues with paperwork.

I wonder if these are just CV/Personal information farmers sometimes.  :eyebrow:

talos

,The government have hijacked the word apprenticeship, it now means one year at slave wages like the old "work experience"  :mad:

An apprentice at one time had to sign up or be indentured (under contract ) for a Min of 4 years, depending upon the chosen trade, and guaranteed, subject to passing final test a position with the company.  Thats how I and thousands like me started

Technical Ben

Yep. I never got any training work in the job I wanted to start in. Why? I turned 16, then 18 etc. So they got someone "more qualified (read younger thus less wages ;) ) in instead.  ::)
No need to pay minimum wage if you only hire people on 3 month "trial" contracts, then extend it by another 3. 6 months turnover per staff member is not too bad when you can pay them half wages...

pctech

Not sure how it works elsewhere but in MK when I was at school in MK we had a work experience placement scheme called Trident where they'd send 15 year olds into local businesses for two weeks and the businesses really did treat it as free slave labour.

I went to an electrical store (not DSG), the job was sales assistant but for the first three days they had me cleaning White goods.

I was on the verge of not going back so confronted the manager on the third day and they put me on Hi-fi and I sold a few.

I did hear the basic wage was 1.83 per hour.

I hear they've gone bankrupt now