router logs

Started by Baz, Sep 02, 2012, 09:56:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

I know people will say that in the router logs, DOS attacks etc are normal and its the router doing its job, but is there any thing you can or should do if you get the same/similar address in the log.

Ive had some recently and did an IP address look up and some were from the same ' company ' shall we say, there were also lots of reports about the same address

can the address be traced right back to an individual computer or account.

cavillas

Baz your tag is reporting the wrong browser for me I am using Exlorer 9.  :)
------
Alf :)

Baz

some one has to use I guess Alf    ;) ;)

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Sep 02, 2012, 09:56:33
I know people will say that in the router logs, DOS attacks etc are normal and its the router doing its job, but is there any thing you can or should do if you get the same/similar address in the log.

Ive had some recently and did an IP address look up and some were from the same ' company ' shall we say, there were also lots of reports about the same address

can the address be traced right back to an individual computer or account.
Ignore logs Baz, the routers doing its job, and some are not Dos attacks anyway, logging into facebook produces loads, just ignore them
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

As Gary says its quite normal, switch off respond to ping on WAN port and you'll find they will disappear (but this will also stop the Think Broadband Quality Monitor from working)

You'll probably find a lot of them are from China or Russia, lots of bots and hackers running port scans from there, there's little or nothing an ISP can do.

Technically you could send an abuse report to the address listed in RIPE or the appropriate registry but in those countries the ISPs don't really care all that much.

armadillo

The ones to worry about are the attacks that are NOT logged.  :evil:

Rik

:laugh: Now he'll have sleepless nights...
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Don't have nightmares

Lance

Baz, have you seriously not got anything better to do then trawling through router logs??  ;D

Most people would only ever look at them if they have an issue.
Lance
_____

pctech

I've seen the logs from our firewall appliances at work.

He really would be scared if he saw the amount of attempted probes they rebuff on a daily basis.

Baz

Quote from: Lance on Sep 02, 2012, 21:37:52
Baz, have you seriously not got anything better to do then trawling through router logs??  ;D

Most people would only ever look at them if they have an issue.

yeah and you wouldnt know you have an issue unless you look at them.

to be honest the ones that do bother me lately, if any one can explain, are from an IDNet address

cavillas

I have used the router logs and they burn quite nicely on the fire. ;D ;D
------
Alf :)

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Sep 02, 2012, 21:54:39

to be honest the ones that do bother me lately, if any one can explain, are from an IDNet address
I have had them too, as has been mentioned Baz all this shows is the routers firewall is doing its job, no need to worry, just ignore them. If you want to see how well stealthed your ports are from a probe go here to shields up https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 select proceed and run the all ports test it should come up all green. Lots of traffic probes ports, messengers can show up as such as well, you are protected.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Quote from: Baz on Sep 02, 2012, 21:54:39

Baz I take it you are looking the addresses up on ripe.net?

Steve

The ones from IDNet are probably caused by the multicast service.
Steve
------------

Baz

pctech

If they begin 224 they definitely are multicast addresses and it'll just be the IDNet routers checking if your router is multicast capable.