About that Java 7 issue....

Started by Gary, Sep 03, 2012, 10:42:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Security Explorations, the Polish security startup that discovered the Java SE 7 vulnerabilities that have been the targets of recent web-based exploits, has spotted a new flaw that affects the patched version of Java released this Thursday.

The company would not disclose specific details on the nature of the new vulnerability because it does not release such information to the public – a reasonable precaution.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/31/critical_flaw_found_in_patched_java/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Rik

Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Java the new Flash of web exploits...  :(

talos

So we need a patch to patch the patch then  :slap:
    I think I've got a headache now  :eyebrow:

Gary

Quote from: talos on Sep 03, 2012, 11:01:31
So we need a patch to patch the patch then  :slap:
    I think I've got a headache now  :eyebrow:

They should release patches on talk like a pirate day  ;)

pctech

Think the previous advice to stick with 6 is the best for the moment.

Gary

I think patching properly would be a good answer myself  ;)

pctech

6 is up to update 35 I think.

Gary

Yep, thing is some people buy new laptops and after 56 windows patches later don't get around to updating stuff like Java sadly. Its a bit overwhelming for some peeps.

pctech

I know when I connected the new PC there were 37 updates.

when I rebuilt it there were 200 plus (combining Windows and Office 2010)

talos

Every morning when I boot up a message saying Java update available, I've not succomed yet, but should I ?  :dunno:

Gary

Quote from: talos on Sep 04, 2012, 08:20:52
Every morning when I boot up a message saying Java update available, I've not succomed yet, but should I ?  :dunno:
I would say thats a yes. If you have version 6 you will get the latest version 6 you need to manually install version 7 I believe before you get updates for that.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Sep 03, 2012, 17:06:29
I know when I connected the new PC there were 37 updates.

when I rebuilt it there were 200 plus (combining Windows and Office 2010)

I just did a Toshiba Satellite p850, 56 updates, the adobe Flash and Adobe Reader updates then Java it took ages, let alone defragging, setting up the security you want etc, its a long process and one many people will get baffled buy because when say the java update asks to run many people have no idea jusched.exe even is.

Glenn

Every laptop I build (on my 2nd today) has approximately 45 - 70 updates to be installed. Before the last build disc update, I was installing approximately 750Mb of patches.
Glenn
--------------------

Niall

I still haven't updated my mums laptop. Really must get around to that as she has a habit of clicking yes to anything that pops up to make it go away  ::)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Simon

Don't you just love those people?   :slap:
Simon.
--

armadillo

Quote from: Niall on Sep 04, 2012, 23:03:33
I still haven't updated my mums laptop. Really must get around to that as she has a habit of clicking yes to anything that pops up to make it go away  ::)

Time for me to repost this example again!

talos

Quote from: Gary on Sep 04, 2012, 10:04:01
I would say thats a yes. If you have version 6 you will get the latest version 6 you need to manually install version 7 I believe before you get updates for that.

The update I am getting states it will uninstall ver6 and install 7, I think I will stick with what I've got for the moment, everything seems to be working OK  :fingers:

Technical Ben

Quote from: Niall on Sep 04, 2012, 23:03:33

I know of this.  :laugh: (Memories of more than half a screen taken up by toolbars in IE, response was "I like it like that".   :eyebrow:)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

Quote from: Technical Ben on Sep 05, 2012, 08:43:18
I know of this.  :laugh: (Memories of more than half a screen taken up by toolbars in IE, response was "I like it like that".   :eyebrow:)

Yep, remote viewed a customer's machine yesterday to sort out an audio conferencing system problem, he said he used Chrome as IE didn't work, asked him to try IE to see if I could isolate the issue to Chrome.

IE took ages to load and he had about 8 toolbars from just under the address bar down, I suggested to him he may want to remove some to increase performance, clearing Java cured the audio confereicing issue, got it fired up in Chrome, bid him a good day and left it there.

Gary

Quote from: talos on Sep 05, 2012, 07:34:16
The update I am getting states it will uninstall ver6 and install 7, I think I will stick with what I've got for the moment, everything seems to be working OK  :fingers:
I just updated one and it said it would update JRE 6 to update 35  :dunno: Have to say I detest toolbars. Laptops always come with Googles, and it seems most downloads try and install it again, or anything you never want by McAfee

Simon

This is a good thing about SeaMonkey - most toolbars aren't compatible with it.  ;D
Simon.
--

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

pctech

I only have the Netcraft toolbar installed.