UK broadband aided by planning permission rule changes

Started by zappaDPJ, Sep 08, 2012, 13:02:49

Previous topic - Next topic

zappaDPJ

QuoteThe government is changing planning permission rules to aid the rollout of faster internet speeds across the UK.

This includes permission for firms to install broadband cabinets and other related infrastructure on public land without local councils' permission in England.

It is also consulting about ways to shorten the time it takes to agree approval for cables and cabinet installation on private land UK-wide.

It builds on a previous £680m pledge.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19520294

What really caught my eye in that story was this:

QuoteThe overall aim is to offer speeds of at least 24Mbps to more than 90% of the UK to become the "fastest in Europe" within three years.

That's either poor journalism or a rather ambitious goal. Does 'at least 24Mbps' mean fibre to 90% of the UK or does it really mean up to, but in reality, nowhere near 24 Mbps on ADSL2+?

zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

zappaDPJ

It's a monumental difference, with implications for millions of homes. I want... no, I demand answers! I shall try to contact the BBC's technology editor ;D
zap
--------------------

Rik

Rik
--------------------

pctech

sobranie

The national lottery is a raffle!
FTTC/FTTP is an even bigger raffle!  I've never envisaged such a bunch of disconnected, secretive buffoons as the BT roll out team.
They haven't the vaugest idea which road they're going to dig up next. They publish figures to show you have FTTC at xxx exchange albeit to say 10% of subscribers.
There's an incident locally in Cornwall where they've enabled a cabinet in the middle of nowhere and have the grand total of 1 (yes) 1 subscriber.
As for me, I'm connected directly to the exchange so I have NIL (r) NIL chance of a fast connection whilst I still possess a crack in my nether regions and I shall be long dead before
I enter the fictional database which parades itself as the BT gospel and means absolutely sod all!
Rant over!! Have a good w/e.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: pctech on Sep 08, 2012, 16:15:55
And you are likely to be ignored I bet

I'd probably take your bet. I've contacted the BBC news services on a number of occasions and always had a decent reply especially when it's in regard to blog format content.
zap
--------------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: sobranie on Sep 08, 2012, 16:21:25
They haven't the vaugest idea which road they're going to dig up next.

Perhaps now that they don't need planning permission they actually will know which road they are going to dig up next?

OK, it was just a dream :laugh:

I actually find this new change of regulation to be somewhat dubious. Yes it might well speed up deployment but giving BT and others free rein to dump a cabinet without planning sounds like a recipe for problems.
zap
--------------------

Tacitus

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Sep 08, 2012, 13:02:49
This includes permission for firms to install broadband cabinets and other related infrastructure on public land without local councils' permission in England.

Does this mean without permission even in Conservation Areas?  AFAICT that is where most of the problems occur.

talos

Perhaps now that they don't need planning permission they actually will know which road they are going to dig up next?

Now you're just being silly  ;)

pctech

Quote from: sobranie on Sep 08, 2012, 16:21:25
The national lottery is a raffle!
FTTC/FTTP is an even bigger raffle!  I've never envisaged such a bunch of disconnected, secretive buffoons as the BT roll out team.
They haven't the vaugest idea which road they're going to dig up next. They publish figures to show you have FTTC at xxx exchange albeit to say 10% of subscribers.
There's an incident locally in Cornwall where they've enabled a cabinet in the middle of nowhere and have the grand total of 1 (yes) 1 subscriber.
As for me, I'm connected directly to the exchange so I have NIL (r) NIL chance of a fast connection whilst I still possess a crack in my nether regions and I shall be long dead before
I enter the fictional database which parades itself as the BT gospel and means absolutely sod all!
Rant over!! Have a good w/e.

I suspect this is due to the fibre being easy to route there.