Moving a hard drive from one computer to another

Started by David, Sep 10, 2012, 13:36:37

Previous topic - Next topic

David

SATA hard drive from Dell Dell Inspiron 530 to a Dell 531
The 530 by the looks of things is beyond reasonable repair but trying to keep the data from the 530 if that makes sense from what I see the 531 will take another drive Im wondering if its within my capabilities to do this job

The last point you cant answer unless you know me  ;D
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

MisterW

Looks pretty straightforward according to this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/en/OM/parts.htm#wp1429712
You've got spare sata ports and a suitable spare drive bay by the look of it.

Glenn

David, you should be able to fit the drive on to a spare SATA port, boot the PC then access the data.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

I thought as much and also that it was well within my capabities thanks will find time later...  :thumb:

As usual fear of the unknown and all that
Many hammer all over the wall and believe that with each blow they hit the nail on the head.

David

Quote from: MisterW on Sep 10, 2012, 13:51:12
Looks pretty straightforward according to this http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/en/OM/parts.htm#wp1429712
You've got spare sata ports and a suitable spare drive bay by the look of it.

Thanks Ian   :thumb:

David

Just found time to tackle this job and the drive is out of the old machine I see that the power connector is mentioned am I assuming correctly that the power connector lead for the old machine connects upt to the board marked 05 to power this additional drive ?

One other point can I increase the RAM by using the old sticks into the working machine ?

Good job Im not a bomb disposal man isnt it  ;D

MisterW

SATA drives have 2 cables a DATA and a POWER. You need the DATA cable from the old machine with the drive, this should connect to one of the free SATA connections ( probably SATA1 )  on the motherboard. There should be a spare SATA power connector in the power supply loom on the new machine, connect that to the drive.

From what I can see the memory is the same between the 530 and 531 so it should be ok.

David

:thumb: Im in your debt Ian  :thnks:

No power cable there from the loom wondering if I can piggy back from one drive to the other ?

David

Well thats the drive in ,the memory in and an extra Dvd drive inas well as half a ton of dust ............................. guess its time to switch it on  :fingers: ;D

pctech

psp83

Quote from: David on Sep 16, 2012, 15:38:43
Well thats the drive in ,the memory in and an extra Dvd drive inas well as half a ton of dust ............................. guess its time to switch it on  :fingers: ;D

You might get some permission problems accessing the old data, if so, just reset the permissions on the files. Plenty on Google about how to do that.

David

Well its really much faster than before so thats a plus, cant seem to see the additional drive and the additional player wont seem to kick in or be recognised but am getting there its tons better than before and so quite   :thumb: I will get there and make one good machine out of the two

Glenn

Check to see what drive letters, if any are assigned to the new drive, you may need to add it to Windows. http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage-your-disks-using-disk-management-utility
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

David

:thnks: Glenn will check that out .....Cant believe I didnt break it

Technical Ben

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd531/en/OM/appendix.htm#wp1057478

That page might help. It shows the system details on startup. Might need to look at "Integrated Peripherals" under "drives/Sata" I think. If it shows 2 serial numbers, then the 2 drives are plugged in and working. If it shows just 1, then something might not be connected. Oh, and remember that any DVD drives also show on that list, so it might be 4 drives show or whatever, but I'm sure you can count better than me!  :blush:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

David

Oh thanks Ben I was struggling with the windows I got the information but could not make any sense of it  :red:
Typical me