HP ditches touchscreen for Windows 8 all-in-one PC

Started by Simon, Sep 10, 2012, 21:14:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

HP has unveiled an all-in-one Windows 8 PC with more than a slight echo of Apple's iMac - and with touch relegated to a peripheral.

The HP SpectreONE has a 23.6in Full HD display in a silver and black chassis that's just 11.5mm thick - a limitation which means there's no touch layer on the screen. Instead, Windows 8 can be navigated via gestures made on a separate multitouch trackpad that bears an uncanny resemblance to Apple's Magic Trackpad. It also comes with a silver wireless keyboard.

The SpectreONE range will offer a selection of Ivy Bridge processors and the latest Nvidia graphics cards, along with a choice of hard disks and SSDs. The thin design means HP has done away with the optical drive.

It also offers HP's TouchZone near-field communications (NFC) technology, which allows users to tap an NFC-equipped smartphone against the base of the PC to transfers files, and even to log in to the PC.

The SpectreONE will go on sale in the US in November for $1,299 (£812). We're waiting to hear back about whether it will be released in the UK.

Read more: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/376825/hp-ditches-touchscreen-for-windows-8-all-in-one-pc#ixzz266F9qBNU

That should keep Apple's lawyers busy.  ::)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Rik

Rik
--------------------

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Depends on UK pricing  though as the 21.5in iMac costs $1200.
Steve
------------

Gary

I actually though the keyboard and trackpad were Apples own for a second...
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Glenn

I wonder if there is a 27" version planned, and what the employees discount is, if any.  ;)
Glenn
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: Glenn on Sep 11, 2012, 09:26:27
I wonder if there is a 27" version planned, and what the employees discount is, if any.  ;)
A pass to Narnia for great customer support  ;)

Steve

Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Sep 11, 2012, 09:39:34
It does look a nice piece of kit.
I like the keyboard and trackpad, the stand is fugly though, its to bulky compared with the actual screen/computer

pctech

I do like the look of the SpectreOne and might well have looked at it had I not bought a new screen and system provided of course the licence did include downgrade rights.

Technical Ben

The screen/pc looks nothing like an Apple IMO. But come one people, how can you say it looks like an Apple?! That's like saying Miss Price's autobiography looks like Shakespeare because they are both book form...
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

Quote from: Gary on Sep 11, 2012, 09:17:59
I actually though the keyboard and trackpad were Apples own for a second...

Tim Cook is probably on the phone to Apple's legal counsel as we speak.   :evil: