Some IPv6 questions

Started by andrue, Sep 17, 2012, 15:35:48

Previous topic - Next topic

andrue

I can't say I'm really too bothered at the moment but I have a couple of questions about IPv6 for future planning.

1)Does anyone know if the WNR1000 router (supplied by IDNet) supports IPv6? The NetGear site suggest it does but I've never seen anything in the admin pages relating to it.
1.b)If it does then do I just enable it and it all just works?

2)I have my own domain. Am I supposed to ask IDNet for a static address for this?

pctech

Can't answer regarding the router but if I remember correctly you run your own mail server don't you?

I think you get a fixed prefix so you simply assign your mail server an address, set the AAAA record for the machine and then assign the domain to it.

andrue

Quote from: pctech on Sep 17, 2012, 16:40:27
Can't answer regarding the router but if I remember correctly you run your own mail server don't you?

I think you get a fixed prefix so you simply assign your mail server an address, set the AAAA record for the machine and then assign the domain to it.
Yes, I do. thanks for that. Any idea where the prefix would come from?

Hmmm. Not at all clear WRT to the router. I'll post a question the Netgear forum later.

Thanks.

pctech

IDNet should be able to tell you.

jm_paulin

Andrue, did you get anywhere with IPv6 ? I got a draytek that claim IPv6 support, but I am not able to go anywhere...

The Draytek router offers me options such as DHCPv6 client, PPP, Static IPv6 and some other option that I think are irrelevant.
The first option asks for an IAID (no clue what the heck that is), PPP asks for nothing, but does not get me anywhere. In both cases, the router seems to get an IPv6 address from somewhere.

I use Win7 client and the thinkbroadband IPv6 test , and I keep failing...

Any advise?