EWAN to BTo Modem

Started by psp83, Sep 21, 2012, 15:35:18

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Hi, just a quick question.

I have my 7800n + BTo FTTC Modem next to the phone socket.

There's a short ethernet cable connection from the 7800n EWAN port to the modem.

My question is, is there a max length this ethernet can be or is it like any other ethernet cable?

I was thinking of moving the 7800n to the office upstairs above the downstairs hall (where the modem is) and run a longer ethernet cable from the office from the EWAN port to the modem.

Will this give me any problems?

pctech

Ethernet cable is fine up to 100 metres Paul.

Lance

Quote from: psp83 on Sep 21, 2012, 15:35:18
My question is, is there a max length this ethernet can be or is it like any other ethernet cable?

Its just a standard cable. I had to provide mine myself (whereas BT retail would include one with their router). I would use CAT6 or 5e just to give the future proofing.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: Lance on Sep 21, 2012, 17:45:04
Its just a standard cable. I had to provide mine myself (whereas BT retail would include one with their router). I would use CAT6 or 5e just to give the future proofing.

Same, I make all my ethernet cables.

I've got plenty of CAT5e FTP & UTP.

Do you think FTP would be better to use for this or UTP will be fine?

Lance

I wouldn't expect much difference really over the relatively short distance so UTP should be fine.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Crosstalk on Ethernet UTP is generally only an issue where there are a bunch of cables

psp83

I put the cable in the wall last night, its only about 6m long and about 2 feet away from power cables for wall sockets.

I guess the only way to know is to move the router upstairs and see how things are.

EWAN only passes on the connection details right? so the end point is still the modem, doing this will not lengthen the line / reduce speed or increase ping?

pctech

The line endpoint is still the modem Paul yes

psp83

Ok, Cheers.

Sorting the room out at the mo to redecorate it, I will post an update if all goes well or wrong!  ;D

Won't be for a few days though.

pctech

If we don't see you it's been nice knowing you  ;D

psp83

Quote from: pctech on Sep 22, 2012, 18:56:51
If we don't see you it's been nice knowing you  ;D

Cant get rid of me that easily  :P

I've still got the old cables in place just in case it doesn't work out  ;D

psp83

Office revamp is coming along slowly.

Excuse the blue, that's the next to be painted. Walls may need another coat of paint but waiting for it to fully dry.

Decided to build my own desks instead of buying, it will be an L shape when finished.

pctech

psp83

Quote from: pctech on Sep 29, 2012, 22:04:34
Nice

Thanks, Done a little more today.

Hopefully I'll get time to go get the tops for it this week.

psp83

DIY shops love ripping people off.

The boarding I will be using for the desktops cost £25+ a sheet in most shops, popped down to the local Jewsons, bigger sheets for less than £10 & will cut to size and deliver for £20.

Wickes wanted £37 for delivery and don't cut to size.

psp83

Well I got the wood for £40 that includes £15 for delivery tomorrow, they also threw in free edging tape.

Wickes wanted £87 including delivery for the same wood & no edging tape.

:thumb: to Jewsons

psp83

Got the router moved to the office now, works fine, if not better with all new cables  ;D