No GB ethernet port on Dell Inspiron Laptops

Started by davej99, Sep 24, 2012, 19:45:40

Previous topic - Next topic

davej99

Was just about to click buy for a new Dell Inspiron laptop and discovered thanks to a reviewer that amazingly they do not seem come with a GB port, only 100MB. The Dell Alienware laptops and Inspiron desktop machines do. Took me ages to find the tech specs. which do not come up under "My System" only under "Inspiron Family," where is just says ethernet. Be sure you check this point before you buy.

pctech

Maybe for a LAN party or corporate LAN its a good idea but your average user isn't going to need a GigE port, not yet anyway and if you are using the max speed on your FTTP connection you are likely to have a friendly phone call or large bandwidth bill land.

davej99

The issue for me is fast NAS backups. 100Mb EN is very slow for small files. BT FTTC home hub 3 comes with GB port for a reason I guess.

pctech

USB to ethernet converter?

Personally though wouldn't touch anything made by Dell

davej99

Quote from: pctech on Sep 24, 2012, 20:05:46

What 17" i7 non-gaming desk top replacement laptop would you recommend?

Steve

I would question the screen size, personally I'd find it too large as it loses portability, if I need a larger screen I'd use an additional monitor.  I agree however that the lack of a Gb Ethernet port would cross that off my list. My choice if going back to Windows would depend a lot on the build quality of the case.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

john

I've got a 17" Dell laptop that I bought in 2006 (pre-vista) and has been used virtually everyday since. I bought it as a replacement for a desktop rather than to use it as a mobile device so the 17" screen is not a problem and I can sit in my armchair to use it rather than being tied to a desk.

The only things that have gone wrong is that a thin horizontal white line often appears across the upper half of the screen (probably a bad connection but I can't be bothered to open it up to check) and the battery failed after a couple of years so I had to use it with the mains adapter as Dell wanted around £100 for a replacement.

However after repeatedly plugging in the adapter the cable started to fray so I bought a new one from ebay. For a while this then managed to put some power in the battery but only enough for a few minutes. Recently though it has managed to charge the battery which now has begun to be able to power the laptop for a couple of hours.

I do have a newer laptop which is much more powerful and has a larger capacity HDD but I still prefer to use my old Dell as I like the larger screen and I've got a lot of software on it that I haven't yet installed on the new one.

Simon

That's the big thing about changing computers, isn't it?  If only the software was easier to transfer. 
Simon.
--

Polchraine

Justify that statement.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Technical Ben

Their desktop PCs on the other had are notoriously problematic. I think they were Dell PCs at work and one or two would pop (motherboard) every week. They might have improved since then, and I've never heard of problems with their laptops, but the desktops are made too cheaply IMO. Easy access to the parts mind.  ;D
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Polchraine

Obviously you cannot justify it or you would have provide proof to back up your comment.

pctech

Quote from: Polchraine on Oct 03, 2012, 18:51:12
Obviously you cannot justify it or you would have provide proof to back up your comment.

My friend may I point to my post in this thread http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20063.msg479527.html#msg479527

If you are a corporate buying lorry loads of servers and desktops they are all over you but if you are individual they don't give a stuff so thats why I say to avoid them.

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Oct 03, 2012, 19:59:53

My friend may I point to my post in this thread http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20063.msg479527.html#msg479527

If you are a corporate buying lorry loads of servers and desktops they are all over you but if you are individual they don't give a stuff so thats why I say to avoid them.

Wrong.

I have my own small company and we buy maybe one every year and never have any problems with them is either specifying, ordering, delivery, warranty or support.   How many other companies provide a 5, yes five, year extended warranty?   And when there is a problem resolve it on the next business day.     Additionally I provide advice and consultancy to small organisations  and tend to recommend/specify Dell - problem free and I also have experience on the corporate side purchasing large number and have never had any significant problems there either.

Steve

My only experience with Dell computers is using them at work (although the spec is not high in this case),they do take some 'stick' day in day out and from my experience their reliability is first rate. In fact I've yet to come across one that has a fault and some of them are positively vintage. However I agree a bad experience does make one think twice and can cloud one's judgement.
Steve
------------

Lance

We used to have HP at work, but are moving to Dell laptops as part of our transformation programme. I'm getting my new laptop next Monday and  over the last 6 months over 3000 of the things have been rolled out to users with another 3-4000 to go. If there were any doubts on reliability we wouldn't have moved away from HP. Some of our HP kit is over 5 years old (with the occassional desktop over 7 years old) and still going strong.
Lance
_____

Polchraine

Quote from: Lance on Oct 03, 2012, 22:20:08
We used to have HP at work, but are moving to Dell laptops as part of our transformation programme. I'm getting my new laptop next Monday and  over the last 6 months over 3000 of the things have been rolled out to users with another 3-4000 to go. If there were any doubts on reliability we wouldn't have moved away from HP. Some of our HP kit is over 5 years old (with the occasional desktop over 7 years old) and still going strong.

I have recently retired a Dell desktop machine that was around 12 years old - it would be on 24 hours/day although maybe 6 in standby for 95% of that time.    In that time just two minor faults - a nylon bush/washer on the PSU fan went twice, first time after about 6 or 7 years and all it did was make it noisy.   We still have a couple of 8 year old laptops and my day to day machine is a near 6 year old laptop which has a couple of minor faults including a 6 pixels failing on the screen in two small hard to detect blocks - all repaired the next day and when the technician saw how the case was damaged - the PC has had some rough treatment he called up for a replacement case, at no cost to me.

I am just about to order a new laptop and there will probably be just Dell being considered.   A Samsung might be looked at as it needs to be one which "looks nice"!

pctech

You are buying as a BUSINESS customer, not a consumer as I was.

I'm very pleased you are happy with the service you have recieved, however I wasted several days off waiting for machines that didn't show up and several evenings of long waits on hold to talk to their dedicated support tried to fob me off in the main, only one guy I spoke to actually wanted to help and listened.

He actually phoned me back the next night and asked had anyone been in touch about the issue during the day, I replied no and he sighed 'no I didn't think they would'

That to me says everything about the culture of the company and its attitude toward consumer customers.

Polchraine

Dell do not make distinctions between a business or retail/consumer customer.    I have purchased as myself - an individual on several occasions and have noticed no difference in service.

pctech

I think we ought to agree to disagree on this one.

I don't intend and wouldn't recommend others to who work for someone else for a living (unless they work from home) to give them another chance to waste my time.

Niall

A bit arrogant to say someone is wrong because their experience differs from your own.

I have always known Dell to be cr*p for customer service and product wise. It was a running theme on forums for many a year. In fact a friend of mine is a web developer and has a Dell laptop and the quality was very poor (was clearly used), and she had about 3 months of problems getting their support to sort it. In the end they had to supply her with a completely different laptop as they claimed they didn't have any others in stock. Also, when the 'engineer' came round to sort the laptop, he stuck a screwdriver straight through the casing, gouging a big gash across it.

Personal experience says Dell are poor too. My last job had Dell PCs and small server setup (although I couldn't tell you what the server set up was as I worked on the floor, not in the office) and the PCs were always having issues, as was the network due to awful hardware constantly failing. In the end they had to replace half of the hardware (at no cost mind as it was under contract). Also I noticed (as I had the spare network cable) that it was REALLY cr*p cabling that they supplied the company. I'm not sure what it was, but the transfer speeds were very poor using that.

These days Dell have VERY hit or miss support and products. Plenty of info about if you look :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

I didn't say he was wrong, I said I think we need to agree to disagree Niall.

My comments were based on my experience.

Niall

Quote from: pctech on Oct 06, 2012, 20:02:30
I didn't say he was wrong, I said I think we need to agree to disagree Niall.

My comments were based on my experience.

I wasn't talking to you :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

Ok

I suppose I'm a little less tolerant of bad service as I experienced with Dell because I do have working hours and so my leave is quite valuable to me.

If you are on your own time such as if you work from home or own your own company (I intend to do this myself one day) then you will be able to put up with more.

Niall

Exactly right. This is why things going wrong for me, absolutely infuriate me. I have very little time to myself, even less now I have to walk everywhere as a part of my physio for my knee and back! Due to lack of time I need things to work properly and for companies to provide what is paid for. If I have to get on the phone to support for anything then whatever the company is, they've already failed me so I'm not happy from that point on as it is. If I then have to wait for an engineer, etc, I lose the entire day waiting for a vague 8am-1pm slot. An example is I have to wait in next saturday for a BT engineer (again) and as a result I can't go to an event I was planning on attending.
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Polchraine

On Friday, my daughter came to me and said: "My laptop will not turn on" and yes it is a Dell coming up 3 years old.    A quick check and there is still warranty/support in place.

Did some basic checks to ensure PSU was working,  tried to power up with/without battery ... nothing.

Called Tech Support and through to an agent within a minute.   He asked if I was OK to do some checks - told him what I had done and the field I work in, "fine, we will skip those checks but need to ensure all parts are fitted OK, do you have a small screwdriver and will you be happy taking a cover off".    So,  he guided me through checking memory, HDD, DVD, WiFi were all seated with power on checks at various times.    I did not need his guidance but thought I would see how good he was.      Still nothing,   so a technician will be here on Monday morning - with various parts.

Fault that for service to a "Consumer".