No GB ethernet port on Dell Inspiron Laptops

Started by davej99, Sep 24, 2012, 19:45:40

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Things have obviously improved dramatically then.

Polchraine

In the past, as a personal user,  I have called Dell on Boxing Day - on their US number and they called me back to sort out a config/BIOS corruption.

As a business user, I had a laptop with accidental damage cover.   My keyboard failed/damaged whilst in Canada so I called Tech Support who said they would be there the following morning but could only fit a US keyboard as they did not have any UK ones.    However,   they arranged for a UK keyboard to be shipped across and it was fitted two or three days later when I was in LA.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

pctech

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Oct 07, 2012, 19:58:22
I called using their UK numbers.

I normally do,   but Boxing Day afternoon was a not a standard time ...

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Oct 07, 2012, 18:30:01
Things have obviously improved dramatically then.

Well, they failed ...   Called at 9:50 to say he would be about 40 minutes and arrived just after 10:30.    Did the basic checks and believed it was either teh Motherboard or power connector.    Replaced both and rebuilt machine - still failed.   Went through various checks/test and the conclusion is that the CPU has failed.    A replacement has been requested and will be with me late today or early tomorrow!      How often do CPUs fail?     It is a rare occurrence and not to have been expected.

I will still rate their service as 9/10

pctech

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Oct 08, 2012, 15:58:55
Unless its overheated, not normally.

Possible, but unlikely.     The last thing it was used for was watching a DVD and then shutdown!    It never gets used for any processor heavy tasks so unless the heat transfer mechanism and fan have failed unlikely.   I shall wait and see what happens tomorrow.

Glenn

I've had a few HP laptops recently needing a new heatsink/radiator assembly, as they have become blocked/leaked. The heatsink would be roasting above the cpu but stone cold the close it got to the radiator, the cpu would shutdown the laptop when it got to it's thermal limits.
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Polchraine

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 08, 2012, 17:24:25
I've had a few HP laptops recently needing a new heatsink/radiator assembly, as they have become blocked/leaked. The heatsink would be roasting above the cpu but stone cold the close it got to the radiator, the cpu would shutdown the laptop when it got to it's thermal limits.

I checked the fan vents and radiator fins last week - all nice and clean.   The heat pipe might be a problem but without it running there is no way to tell.    This one will not even boot!   Two flashes from the power LED and that is it!

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Polchraine

Absolutely NOTHING.     It is literally two flashes on the power LED and that is it.    I had been though all diagnostics before calling them.     The only other LED that might flash is if I disconnect mains power, try a boot from battery a few times then reconnect power and the battery LED will flash once or twice as  charge.

pctech

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Oct 09, 2012, 16:19:32
What CPU is it running?

INTEL CORE 2 DUO P7570 (2.26GHz 3GB cache)

Well CPU changed today and still nothing ... so now en-route back to Dell for repair, there is something wrong that cannot be traced without full diagnostic equipment.   All removable components were rmoved and it still failed to boot in any form.    The HDD is staying here as they can repair using a standard drive.

pctech

PSU failure?

I say that only because you haven't mentioned whether he tried it with another after replacing the motherboard.

Polchraine

Not sure on that one ... I did ask and the comment was "that will be sorted back at the Dell facility".   The external power block is fine,   the battery is fine and charged up from near flat to full.

pctech

Glenn

All that is left is the heatsink, screen, DVD drive, memory, or the case.
Glenn
--------------------

Polchraine

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 09, 2012, 19:12:12
All that is left is the heatsink, screen, DVD drive, memory, or the case.

Heatsink all looked fine and would not cause it to fail to boot!;   DVD drive and memory both removed and failed to boot, reseated and failed;  screen disconnected and failed to boot; keyboard, disconnected and failed to boot ... case ????    It is literally a case of nothing happens except a flash from the power switch as it is pressed and another 1 second later - no fans start to spin, no drive starts or anything.

Niall

Quote from: Polchraine on Oct 09, 2012, 19:37:21
Heatsink all looked fine and would not cause it to fail to boot!;   DVD drive and memory both removed and failed to boot, reseated and failed;  screen disconnected and failed to boot; keyboard, disconnected and failed to boot ... case ????    It is literally a case of nothing happens except a flash from the power switch as it is pressed and another 1 second later - no fans start to spin, no drive starts or anything.

Only time I've seen the fans not spin is when a motherboard has died. Could be other causes but it's the only time I've ever seen it happen in 13 years of building PCs for myself and friends :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

I would say the same Niall.

Think its a connection somewhere

Polchraine

Quote from: Niall on Oct 09, 2012, 20:35:00
Only time I've seen the fans not spin is when a motherboard has died. Could be other causes but it's the only time I've ever seen it happen in 13 years of building PCs for myself and friends :)

Similar thought - but motherboard has been changed.   And all connections checked twice when it would not work with the replacement.   I shall see what the problem was when it returns.

cavillas

Replacement motherboard and replacement processor and that equals different machine to me so if power supply is ok then there must be a short that affects mobo when installed.  After all a computer is mainly just a mobo, processor and power supply.
------
Alf :)

Rik

And memory. I had a machine fail in a similar manner, all 4 sticks of memory had died.
Rik
--------------------

Technical Ben

Yep. Seems it's a usual hardware fault when the little light flashes. Either the power supply or the motherboard (that included the connected devices. Memory etc).
The thing to remember about laptops it they are not kept under a desk. So it's easier for a little knock or twist to break something. That and due to their limited space, the heat buildup can cause parts to fall of, although mainly only the heatsinks.

As an example, both the PS3 and Xbox first models overheated and caused their own parts to fall off (Xbox the heatsink, and PS3 the who chip! :O ).
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Glenn

Dell normally screw the heatsinks through the systemboard to the chassis.
Glenn
--------------------