I really don't want to jump ship but please look at your Caps

Started by kerrso05, May 30, 2012, 20:49:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I've decided to stay, and requested a move to the 100GB package as soon as it's convenient  :)

Funny thing is, my usage for the last few months has dropped to the point where I could safely have dropped to a lower (old) package- for various reasons my intentions to do a lot more movie streaming etc didn't pan out as I expected.

But I still think it's likely to happen and 100GB should be plenty.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

psp83

I've just recently signed upto Netflix so I'm waiting to end of the year to see how things go.

Then I will decide what to do next.

pctech

If you've selected standard quality you won't munch through the bandwidth that much.

andrue

I suppose my allowance and speed are an odd combo (76Mb/s 60GB allowance) but that option has just gone now. Shot down in flames, really  :-\

For the same price I can have half the speed and half the allowance (but no more peak/off peak so more useful I suppose) or for 50% extra cost I can have the same speed and far higher allowance that I'm never going to get close to using (currently hovering around 7GB a month). Presumably there's no change while I'm still in a fixed contract but out of curiosity what is the policy for people coming out of contract? With my last ISP I just continued on a 'legacy' product and other than an inflationary adjustment nothing else changed.

Steve

Good question Andrue, I get the impression that initially the cost will remain the same, not forgetting that many customers are only on a 30 day contract unlike FTTC
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Quote from: Steve on Oct 05, 2012, 19:37:57
Good question Andrue, I get the impression that initially the cost will remain the same, not forgetting that many customers are only on a 30 day contract unlike FTTC

The implication here is that you'll stay on a "legacy" package until you request a move to a new one.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

andrue

One other thing I forgot to mention. Are all FTTC packages really under the banner of 'Enterprise Broadband'? It seems to me that will put a lot of residential customers off. Do you think that's the intent?

:dunno:

Edit: And yes, I see Simon's comments about not changing packages. I thought that would probably be the case but good to know.

Simon

I have to admit, it doesn't seem abundantly clear where residential customers should look for their packages. 
Simon.
--

pctech

psp83

Quote from: pctech on Oct 05, 2012, 19:08:49
If you've selected standard quality you won't munch through the bandwidth that much.

Nothing is standard about me!  :laugh:

HD all the way, no point in spending all that money on my HD tv otherwise  ;D

mervl

Seems fair if IDNet provide Enterprise-quality broadband to market it as such - and presumably in a crowded market place full of bull, to attract the customers who appreciate it. (That might not always be the EU experience though).

Ardua

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Jun 06, 2012, 17:15:24
Hi Harry

We'll certianly look at it again after the Olympics and maybe Euro2012.

I doubt that we'll change the hours though as they are specifically designed to ensure that gamers and evening SSH workers etc are not swamped by streaming and it also allows us to offer competition-beating, practically unlimited overnight allowances for those who are able to schedule their downloads.

BT have hinted that wholesale price changes mught be afoot for later in the summer - that would certainly let us  increase the allowances.

The new FTTC  Pro package will work well for me but yesterday's announcement has prompted me to look at what IDNet's competitors are now offering. One of the Which-recommended providers could provide me with 250GB Peak/Unlimited Off Peak, telephone rental and anytime calls for about £13 per month less than I am paying at the moment. I do not need 250GB but the cost differential is not insignificant. I just wonder, looking at Simon's comments above, why IDNet has now done away with the Off Peak bandwidth element?  If I recall, this forum started with a simple request which was 'could the Off Peak start time be earlier in the evening' as per some other ISPs? I am not sure how the package changes sit with Simon's comments re swamping gamers and SSH workers?

Rik

As there are new threads discussing bandwidth, new packages and the new website, I think it's time to close this thread.
Rik
--------------------