New caps but are they good enough for me not to jump ship?

Started by kerrso05, Oct 06, 2012, 17:34:59

Previous topic - Next topic

kerrso05

QuoteQuote from: Simon_idnet on Jun 06, 2012, 17:15:24

Hi Harry

We'll certianly look at it again after the Olympics and maybe Euro2012.

I doubt that we'll change the hours though as they are specifically designed to ensure that gamers and evening SSH workers etc are not swamped by streaming and it also allows us to offer competition-beating, practically unlimited overnight allowances for those who are able to schedule their downloads.

BT have hinted that wholesale price changes mught be afoot for later in the summer - that would certainly let us  increase the allowances.

Ardua

QuoteThe new FTTC  Pro package will work well for me but yesterday's announcement has prompted me to look at what IDNet's competitors are now offering. One of the Which-recommended providers could provide me with 250GB Peak/Unlimited Off Peak, telephone rental and anytime calls for about £13 per month less than I am paying at the moment. I do not need 250GB but the cost differential is not insignificant. I just wonder, looking at Simon's comments above, why IDNet has now done away with the Off Peak bandwidth element?  If I recall, this forum started with a simple request which was 'could the Off Peak start time be earlier in the evening' as per some other ISPs? I am not sure how the package changes sit with Simon's comments re swamping gamers and SSH workers?

Rik has closed my previous Thread on this (I totally understand why and agree with him that he should close it) but I still think there is still some unanswered questions so that is why I have continued on from the last statement that Ardua made

Ardua, I'm interested in the Which recommended Provider that you are talking about....who are they?

Overnight I have been able to reflect on the new Caps and from were I am sitting it looks like it hasn't increased all that much. My previous plan was 30 Gbs download at peak and 60 at off-Peak so a total of 90Gbs and now it has increased to 100gbs............10 Gbs is not much of a change and it has gone up in price
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Rik

Quote from: kerrso05 on Oct 06, 2012, 17:34:59

Overnight I have been able to reflect on the new Caps and from were I am sitting it looks like it hasn't increased all that much. My previous plan was 30 Gbs download at peak and 60 at off-Peak so a total of 90Gbs and now it has increased to 100gbs............10 Gbs is not much of a change and it has gone up in price

A price increase is inevitable to enable IDNet to deliver the same service 24/7, they need to buy more capacity to do it, and they don't have as strong a bargaining position as the larger ISPs. What's right for you is now something you'll have to decide Harry.
Rik
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

Quote from: kerrso05 on Oct 06, 2012, 17:34:59

It's a rise in the cap of around 11 - 12%, but you can use it whenever you like, so you don't have to stay up until after to do things in the 'off peak' period.

How much of the 90Gb are you actually using at the moment, and what extra bandwidth usage charges are you paying?

If you can afford to pay annually, there is a one month discount, that brings the average across 12 months down from £35.40 - £32.45.
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Just to add, can we please not have advertising for other ISPs on IDNet's forum.  I am sure the Which? article that Ardua referred to is available online.
Simon.
--

kerrso05

Glen you were asking how much do I use:-

Month    Charge Period    Download (GB)    Upload (GB)    Total (GB)

January 2012    Overall    99.06              34.96            134.02
February 2012    Overall    80.26              65.91            146.17
March 2012    Overall    72.69              25.82             98.51
April 2012            Overall    88.22              40.99             129.21
May 2012             Overall    115.36              21.90             137.26
June 2012            Overall    113.95              19.20             133.15
July 2012            Overall    77.97              20.01              97.98
August 2012    Overall    126.28              37.26             163.54
September 2012    Overall    96.69              28.71             125.40

So as you can see I am crashing through the barrier nearly every month.........in fact if it was the new tariff I would have to pay an extra £14 to a whooping £26 for August extra a month

Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Glenn

Harry, you look to be on the same position ans psp83 100 is not enough, but 200 is too much at present.
Glenn
--------------------

Ardua

Quote from: Simon on Oct 06, 2012, 18:06:14
Just to add, can we please not have advertising for other ISPs on IDNet's forum.  I am sure the Which? article that Ardua referred to is available online.

The information is readily available via Google or via a £1 subscription to Which.

Quote IDNet's Forum Unquote   Has something changed?

Quote        Please note that IDNetters, the forum, and IDNet, the company, are not one and the same.  The forum is run by a group of volunteers, who are also IDNet customers.  Unquote

Time to start the car!!

pctech

What Simon says is a standard restriction on most ISPs' forums.

The domain is registered to the company and the hosting is provided by the company, that means that it's IDNet's forum.

Ardua

Quote from: pctech on Oct 06, 2012, 19:14:55
What Simon says is a standard restriction on most ISPs' forums.

Perhaps the rules/restrictions need updating as I can see no standard restriction and such discussion has not been verboten in the past. Let's leave it there.

My point was that Simon has for some reason decided to drop peak/0ff peak which was a 'no no' a few months ago. Personally, the changes suit me but I can see why they might not suit some of IDNet's heavy users. That said, having looked around the web, it would indeed seem that IDNet is narrowing its target customer base. This, of course, is a business decision for them.

Niall

Odd how it's suddenly being enforced. We've talked about other providers on here for years. Why are people getting their panties in a bunch all of a sudden? Anyone that has any common sense does their own research anyway, so a couple of comments isn't likely to destroy the company. If the IDnet packages are competitive and supply packages people want, it makes no difference. Actively promoting another ISP would be out of order, but mentioning them should be fine, or doesn't freedom of speech apply on these forums?
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

andrue

Quote from: Niall on Oct 06, 2012, 19:30:30or doesn't freedom of speech apply on these forums?
No reason it should. 'Freedom of speech' only ever applies between a government and its citizens. Within the boundary of private space it's irrelevant. The owners/operators of this forum can apply whatever restrictions or censorship they wish.

But having pointed that out I will say that it makes me a bit sad to hear it being used in that way. It does IDNet more harm than good in my opinion (censorship often does). It's another example of why I personally don't feel 'part of the family' the way I did (and still do) with my previous ISP.

Niall

Yes, telling people they can't openly talk about comparable products as examples is overly harsh in my opinion. You can hardly make an intellectual argument for something if you have to be seen saying things like "I know of a company that does x for x amount and would like to know if IDnet will". "Prove it" will be the reply. "Sorry, I'm not allowed to or I'll get banned".

As I mentioned, if I was to pop up on here saying buy virgin cable instead of IDnet cable (and yes I can say this as IDnet don't do cable), IDnet are rubbish, then yes it's not on. You should not be told not to mention companies. Censorship implies a company may have problems and are worried about losing customers.

Also, regarding the hosting, if this is run by volunteers why is it an issue? Yes IDnet provide the hosting, but if IDnet are now telling moderators/admins to tell the people to stop posting certain things, then stick up a paypal link and have your own hosting for the forums. Problem solved.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Same attitude on other ISP Forums, Mitch got a verbal for mentioning another ISP on Xilo's I think, each ISP does not want to openly advertise away from thier own packages, makes sense as I see it, if you want to talk about it do it in pm maybe. As to the new Packages the 100GB suits my needs with no peak off peak for now. Telephone packages I'll monitor as there may be better deals elsewhere.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

pctech

Business is business I suppose.

I just left an ISP I'd been loyal to for over two years and they'd decided to reroute my connection which increased latency.

I asked them to put it back and they said at first they could and then they couldn't as it would require moving all customer connections on the exchange which was too much work for them but maybe done in the future.

So therefore I requested my MAC

My point is, if a company's product no longer suit your needs shop around and move.

Gary

One thing I have noticed is that my RSS feed is still peak off peak, anyone got an idea when that will be updated to just show how much you use period, if you are on a new package?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

mervl

Quote from: Gary on Oct 06, 2012, 20:13:37
One thing I have noticed is that my RSS feed is still peak off peak, anyone got an idea when that will be updated to just show how much you use period, if you are on a new package?

But if it's the same RSS feed for everybody might it not be helpful to those on old packages to have the breakdown? (I know your answer). Is the maths so difficult? EDIT: I have to say I fully expect IDNet to lose the breakdown so the dinosaurs have to work in the dark to guess our peak/off-peak breakdown as our punishment for reducing their profitability.

kerrso05

Quote from: Glenn on Oct 06, 2012, 18:56:31
Harry, you look to be on the same position ans psp83 100 is not enough, but 200 is too much at present.

Yes Glen I do appear to be in the same position as psp83.....I'ts just a pity there wasn't a 150Gb tariff but there isn't.

As for the other debate that is going on in this thread about mentioning other Internet Providers.......I have never seen that restriction ever before....that must be a new restriction because on the last thread I started.................loads of people were mentioning other providers and their products and nothing was done about it. I don't think it is advertising if you mention other providers because most of the threads mention......BT....they are a Provider.

Surely Idnet are confident enough in their product to stand up against other products from other Providers

Ardue I have googled that provider and I can't find it ...........so without saying their name can you hint at them? Simon is that alright....hinting at names............eg I**et    :laugh:
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

andrue

Don't mention other providers. I did once but I think I got away with it.

:legpull:

psp83

Quote from: kerrso05 on Oct 06, 2012, 20:41:03
Yes Glen I do appear to be in the same position as psp83.....I'ts just a pity there wasn't a 150Gb tariff but there isn't.

As for the other debate that is going on in this thread about mentioning other Internet Providers.......I have never seen that restriction ever before....that must be a new restriction because on the last thread I started.................loads of people were mentioning other providers and their products and nothing was done about it. I don't think it is advertising if you mention other providers because most of the threads mention......BT....they are a Provider.

Surely Idnet are confident enough in their product to stand up against other products from other Providers

Ardue I have googled that provider and I can't find it ...........so without saying their name can you hint at them? Simon is that alright....hinting at names............eg I**et    :laugh:

Why not do it by PM ?

I'm sure your be fine on Tiscali  :eek4:  :out: :hide:

:laugh:

Steve

I'll be blunt- we have not been informed by IDNet to censor out threads with regard to comments concerning other ISPs, we are happy and always have been happy to allow the discussion of other ISPs within the context of a thread but will of course not tolerate blatant advertisement of another ISP.

Personally I would prefer this ISP to be named why should I have to trawl around google and Which  to guess which one.  Obviously I'm not going to help Harry find another ISP on here either.
Steve
------------

kerrso05

Quote from: psp83 on Oct 06, 2012, 20:56:55
Why not do it by PM ?

I'm sure your be fine on Tiscali  :eek4:  :out: :hide:

:laugh:

I suppose we could but what's happened to freedom of expression?

What's this about Tis ca li    what are you doing? tempting fate and I wouldn't go near them with a ten foot pole
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

Ardua

@kerrso05

Take a look at

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/idnet/4164658-new-packages-from-idnet.html#Post4164658

4th post down

Edit: I should add that I have no personal knowledge of this ISP or the poster. I believe that their packages were increased in August.

kerrso05

Quote from: Steve on Oct 06, 2012, 21:04:12
I'll be blunt- we have not been informed by IDNet to censor out threads with regard to comments concerning other ISPs, we are happy and always have been happy to allow the discussion of other ISPs within the context of a thread but will of course not tolerate blatant advertisement of another ISP.

Personally I would prefer this ISP to be named why should I have to trawl around google and Which  to guess which one.

Exactly........so were has Simon got this restriction from?..........did he make it up?......and anyway I don't want anyone to advertise any provider other than Idnet........that is just being rude
Harry
Bangor, Northern Ireland

mervl

Thanks Steve for the commonsense. I was about to suggest we should remane the forum . . . IDNutters.  :laugh: