office consumer preview

Started by pctech, Oct 24, 2012, 13:42:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

running 2k10 at work and home and it def runs from the hard drive.

Lance

Office 365 has been available for a while though.
Lance
_____

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Quote from: pctech on Oct 24, 2012, 14:18:54
running 2k10 at work and home and it def runs from the hard drive.

AFAIK there was a "click to run" preview as well. It set up a virtual cached disc thingy. Meant you had a virtual disk of the program on your drive, but it never actually downloaded any files until you "clicked" something, and the software attempted to run, then accessed the files on the virtual disk, which accessed over the network and website and downloaded the file. Yep, nice old virtual terminal stuff I guess. And I hated it! Because when I say "clicked" I mean any button, you had to wait while it downloaded that feature. Cut and paste? I hope it cached it first!  :laugh:

Then along came office 365.

pctech

Looking further into it it says when away from your computer so presumably you get a local copy.

wecpcs

Quote from: pctech on Oct 24, 2012, 22:14:40
Looking further into it it says when away from your computer so presumably you get a local copy.

You do get a local copy as I am running the preview at the moment as I am tempted to adopt it when released to replace my Office 2003 SBE which is getting a bit dated now especially as the cost will around £4+ per month for the full suite of Office elements for up to 5 PC's. I am not prepared to pay £200+ for the boxed product when all I use mainly is Outlook and occasionally Word and Excel. It is a bit of a learning curve compared to the 2003 version I am used to.

Colin

pctech

i'll stick with Office 2010 Academic edition which cost me £50

I'd certainly not put card details on MS' systems seeing as they seem to have an issue with Xbox live accounts being compromised and as far as I can tell its a shared billing system (I use scratchcards for the XBL sub)

Technical Ben

I like to rent single use items (big vans, cranes etc) and those I could never pay for up front (perhaps a flat/house, boat for the weekend I wish). Smaller things and daily tools? I'd pay up front. Oh, charge extra for a service, or upgrades. But I don't want you trying to rent out some nails and a hammer.  :no:
So I'll stick to free or paid for with software. :P

Simon

Do you rent cranes on a regular basis?  :o
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

I hear he's HSS' best customer  ;D

wecpcs

Quote from: pctech on Oct 26, 2012, 10:37:13
i'll stick with Office 2010 Academic edition which cost me £50

I'd certainly not put card details on MS' systems seeing as they seem to have an issue with Xbox live accounts being compromised and as far as I can tell its a shared billing system (I use scratchcards for the XBL sub)

When I just purchased Windows 8 yesterday, there was an option to pay by PayPal which I did therefore no CC numbers on MS, so I presume the same may apply when the time comes to start paying for Office 365 Home Premium when it comes out of preview.

Colin

pctech

Hmmm, I don't trust MS with any financial info.

Technical Ben

Quote from: Simon on Oct 26, 2012, 20:38:09
Do you rent cranes on a regular basis?  :o
No but use to live very close to a massive crane rental yard. So it was the first thing to pop into my mind. I'd hate to know how much they cost to rent or buy!