UPnP messages in Logs

Started by sparky, Nov 11, 2012, 15:54:34

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Can any one advise?

Last Monday I replaced my old Thomson router with a new Netgear DGN2200. So far so good. All set up etc. Suddenly on Friday at about 15:30 I started getting these messages in the router log. The PC was off yesterday, but they are clockling up again now that the PC is back on. They are appearing at the rate of approximately every 10 secs. ???

[UPnP set event:AddPortMapping] from source 192.168.0.2, Sunday, November 11,2012 15:44:48

192.168.0.2 is my Home PC, nothing else is attached to the router. What might be causing these messages and is there any ideas as to how I can stop them?

I'm guessing that UPnP is "Universal Plug and Play" ??  But I haven't changed a thing since installing the router.

sobranie

sparky

I'm not using any BitTorrent software if that's what you mean?

Steve

The router is just doing it's job and logging the uPNP requests. You can turn uPNP off in the router but you'll likely lose software functionality without setting these port forwards up manually. You may be able to turn the logging off and be as blissfully ignorant of these uPNP requests as you were on the Thomson..
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

As has been said its quite normal, MS makes use of it so you don't have to set and remove these manually

sparky

Steve/pctech, Thanks. Yes it might just be peace of mind if I hadn't seen them, it's just that I used the same computer all week and they only started on Friday PM. I have been keeping an eye on the log as the reason for replacing the router was for frequent disconnects which I haven't had since installing the Netgear.

So in my mind, something has caused this logging to start since Friday. It didn't happen all week until then. I've installed no new software or (as far as I know) run any obscure application that I hadn't done previously.

Just interested to try to find the cause.............Can't find a way to disable them in the log either.

Steve

Certainly you can disable uPNP within the router menu structure? Media sharing software uses uPNP and I believe Windows see the router as a new uPNP device
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

sparky

Steve, Thanks.

You beat me to it! I was just about to add to my last post that I have disabled it on the router, It has stopped the logging of the events. Now I'll just have to wait to see what complains first!