When two connections go to war...

Started by Athanis, Nov 08, 2012, 11:59:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Athanis

G'morning,

Having a head-scratcher of a problem.  Myself and my brother both use IDNet, the ADSL2 packages and live approx 4 miles apart in Belfast.  We're both Gamers, heavily so online.  He uses the Netgear DGN1000 and I've just replaced my originally-sent-by-IDNET Netgear DG834G with a TP LINK W8969ND.  So far, so typical.  Both average approx 5 mbps connections and I play Mass Effect 3/ Battlefield 3 without problems or significant lag and he plays Planetside 2 and Counterstrike GO, same conditions.

He upgraded to a Gamer PC and we're trying new games.  Our connections, however, don't like each other, apparently.  I host and after a few minutes, the ping bounces up to 1000 and he disconnects.  He hosts and one or other of us disconnects.  Happens in SupCom2, Counterstrike Source and Left4Dead 2.  We're going through different games to compare results but it's quite consistent.  With CS: Source though, it's more intriguing.

We join a random server together online, neither hosting... and within minutes his ping is hitting 1000 and he's force-disconnected.

A consistent presence throughout the process is Skype, which we use to co-ordinate ourselves.  Previously, when using the DG834G and when he owned a laptop but used a different internet connection, we had few problems beyond inherrent bugs in the games themselves.  This one confounds us, however, and I'm not coming up with much via researching through other forums.

Would any of you kind folks have hints for a direction to follow research wise or suggestions as to why we just can't keep a stable connection outside of Skype?  I realise that Skype is the common denominator- but we've disabled to test that theory too and the problem persists.  :S

Any help or suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.  Considering launching a tin-can-on-a-string at his flat as a last resort :P

Steve

Sorry Athanis I'm not a gamer so I've no helpful suggestions other than setting up TBBQM on your brother's line/router to see how it's performing.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Athanis

Thanks Steve- good suggestion, I'd forgotten about that site! :)   :red:

zappaDPJ

Apologies if I've misread this but did the problems start after a PC upgrade? If that is the case then I'd start by looking at the network card driver and/or settings.
zap
--------------------

Athanis

A totally new PC on his end, (From Cyberpower) and a new Modem/Router on my end.  Both running through our config settings looking for any trouble but nothing looks abnormal so far. 

zappaDPJ

When you both connect to a remote CS:Source server I assume it's just your brother that has issues?

It sounds like a networking problem at his location. In addition to what I've already suggested I'd also temporarily remove any hardware/software firewall he might have to ensure that all the necessary ports are open. If that doesn't help I'd start eliminating all possible causes, one by one, starting with his PC e.g. try yours at his location.
zap
--------------------

Niall

Isn't his router the netgear one that has overheating issues, and general stability problems? I know I stopped using mine and my line improved when I switched to the 7800n.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Technical Ben

Quote from: Niall on Nov 08, 2012, 14:10:43
Isn't his router the netgear one that has overheating issues, and general stability problems? I know I stopped using mine and my line improved when I switched to the 7800n.
Eeeks. My netgear seems to do that too. :
If the problem was not there before the changes, I'd say a one of the recent changes in hardware might be the cause. But a quick check of line stats, packet loss and ping stability is the best place to start. :)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Athanis

I didn't know that about the DGN1000.  Slightly worrisome given that it was offered by IDNet as he signed up to them.

I'm going to try as many of the suggestions as possible- alas, I can't move my machine to his place because it's the size of a small child and heavy as sin, (a daft ordering error on my part years ago :P) but I'll ask him to monitor his router signal, (with Xirrus,) and use the TBBQM to keep an eye on his ping.  I'll do the same on my end and hopefully we'll figure it out.  Neither of us really has the option of wired connections, given the unfortunate placement of phone sockets in our respective homes.

If the DGN1000 does have overheating/ stability problems, is there anything we could try in the meantime to keep his as stable as possible?  It's kept flat though could be made to stand on it's side if that would help with the overheating.

Any and all suggestions and comments are well appreciated! :D

zappaDPJ

Another suggestion based on new information; if the connection is WiFi, try setting it to operate on a specific channel rather than auto. I'm not sure what setting options you have with the DGN1000 but in my experience WiFi + gaming + auto is a recipe for disaster or at the very least, an early death on the battlefield ;D
zap
--------------------

Athanis

Ah, hadn't considered the channel!  I set mine 6, (given that, as I understand it, it's better to use the same channel as the (very) close wifi signal from the next house rather than choose an opposing channel which may cause interference?)

I'll suggest it to him.  Happy to try anything at the moment.  It's driving us nuts.  We finally both have PC's at comparable levels with good games....  and it all goes to Hell. :S

Bah Humbugs!  ;D

Technical Ben

Hmmm. Something ate my post. I hope I did not post it in the wrong thread.  :o
I'll say these problems usually turn out to be a tiny tiny conflict in a fire wall, hardware or PC setting. So you have all our support, cos we know it's so frustrating finding that needle in a hay stack. :P

Lance

I'm not sure what you mean regarding picking wifi channels. You should try and pick one which is as clear as possible. Picking the same as your neighbour just makes it harder for you to pick out the right signal.

I tend to use inssider to chart all the networks and their strength and pick out the least congested spot.
Lance
_____

Steve

I agree Lance I try to use separate WiFi channels to avoid a conflict,using iStumbler on the Mac I can see the respective strengths and channels used of neighbouring networks.

This graph gives an idea of overlapping channels on the commonly used 2.5GHz network.

Steve
------------

Athanis

Will add the channel sniffer program to our toolbox of diagnostic goodies, thank-you!

An Update: we experimented with his router last night, not only setting his channel to a fixed number, (6 for easy test purposes,) but also moving it around, moving furniture out of the way and ever re-positioning his PC for maximal impact.

Using Xirrus Wifi Inspector, we discovered that his wifi signal itself is uneven- or unstable.  It's range is between -75db and -55db and, using the line graph display, we noted that every few seconds the signal would rise or fall.  What's more intriguing is that the router, with it's antenna pointed at his PC, is barely three meters from the PC.

Mine is approx 6-7 meters away, on the lower floor of the house, transmitting through thick wooden flooring, (and who knows what else constitutes the structure) but my reading is almost always either -35db with a long, unwavering line on the graph.

We're also having a slight problem with the TTBQM- on each computer, the packet loss is 100%.  I'm trying to root through the settings of my TP-Link to adjust it but anyone who has one knows that the interface is like a rubics cube of numbers.

So, given the above @ the Xirrus readings, any thoughts or analysis?  Oh and both signals are Wireless N, if that makes any difference.

All suggestions, thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated! :D

Glenn

Quote from: Athanis on Nov 13, 2012, 18:52:47

We're also having a slight problem with the TTBQM- on each computer, the packet loss is 100%.  I'm trying to root through the settings of my TP-Link to adjust it but anyone who has one knows that the interface is like a rubics cube of numbers.

To get TTBQM to work, you need to allow the router to respond to ping echo requests.
Glenn
--------------------

davej99

Have you considered a pair of homeplugs. I gave up on wireless a long time ago, even N, except for use with toys like phones, pods and pads. My house is timber and still N struggles to  go next room but one, though that might be the foil backed plasterboard. After trying a few cheapos, I gravitated towards Devolo DLAN 500 AV mini range. But at £75 a pair they are not cheap, though they do notionally connect as a Gb device at 500MBps. Can't comment on gaming lag though.

Athanis

@ Glenn, I'm trying to find a way to enable the Ping Requests on the TP LINK router but it doesn't have a specific option to toggle as the old Netgear did and digging through the Routers Settings screen is akin to a Himalayan Trek through an accountants database.  I'll persevere until I find a way.

@ davej99, we've considered the Homeplugs but there's a query regarding compatibility with extension leads and surge protectors.  Initial reading directly suggested that either would interfere or block the Homeplug signal.  We discussed it but neither of us is willing to give up the surge protectors.  Just in case. :D

The struggle continues.  :thumb:

Glenn

Anything under advanced settings?

This link isn't for your router but the firmware maybe similar http://forums.techguy.org/networking/930559-how-stop-tp-link-router.html
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Homeplugs will work with surge protectors in my experience, however I'm not a gamer so I've no idea how consistent ping times will be.
Steve
------------

Steve

If the PC is that near would it be worth using a temporary Ethernet cable to try and isolate the issue.
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Nov 13, 2012, 20:37:11
If the PC is that near would it be worth using a temporary Ethernet cable to try and isolate the issue.
Yep. I always use cables for gaming. Unless it's "just for fun" in which case the occasional disconnect via wifi interference is bearable. :P