A daft question?

Started by Simon, Nov 18, 2012, 20:03:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

If someone lives in a big old house, with thick brick walls, is it entirely probably that Wifi won't reach from one side of the house to the other, and upstairs?  If they only have standard ADSL, is there a solution?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

kinmel

Powerplugs is easiest, or else ethernet cabling
Alan  ‹(•¿•)›

What is the date of the referendum for England to become an independent country ?

Simon

Ah... Powerplugs.  That sounds like a plan.  :)
Simon.
--

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

On the phone but I think the starter pack has a plug with more than one Ethernet port. The first link should work to connect a single device to the router, ie router to homeplug, 2nd homeplug to device via Ethernet port
Steve
------------

Simon

Right, I'm going to admit my ignorance of these now.  I thought they were wireless extenders, ie, you can plug one in by the router, and the other one elsewhere in the house, which would enable a wifi connection.  Have I got that wrong?  Also, is it one Homeplug per device?
Simon.
--

Steve

The basic homeplug just has an Ethernet port however you can get them with Wifi so in that example you'd need one basic and one wifi enabled. You can mix different manufacturers if they use the same chipset but probably best to stick with one only

This is an example of a WiFi enabled home plug -http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-pew-n.htm
Steve
------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

This is an example of a WiFi enabled home plug http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-pew-n.htm

This would be the kit http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-200avpew-kit.html - one basic one WiFi enabled , you can also get basic ones with a mains pass through. ie http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av-push-piggy-mk3.htm

Note they are all the same chipset. INT6400

You could attach a spare router running in bridge mode to the furthest home plug and then that would act as the additional WiFi access point but that gets a bit messy with cables and power points.

Not supposed to be an advert for Solwise but I have used their home plugs and still do, not a fan of Zyxel they break on me.
Steve
------------

Simon

Thanks Steve.  I'll pass that on and see what they want to do.
Simon.
--

FritzBox

Quote from: Simon on Nov 18, 2012, 21:10:37
Also, is it one Homeplug per device?

Nope, just add a switch if you want to add another device

I used the Devolo 85mbps ones for quite a few years, but have upgraded to the 500mbps in the last year

Steve

True I was thinking of multiple sockets around the house.
Steve
------------

Simon

OK, just to recap, if they go for the wireless versions, they will need one 'base' plug, and the other goes upstairs, or where the wireless doesn't reach, yes?  Can they then get as many other wireless plugs as they need, ie, one upstairs and one in the lounge? 

For some reason, their wireless doesn't seem to reach very far, with neither a 2700 or a Netgear router.  The other question I've been asked is, if they've got two or three devices all trying to use iPlayer, for example, on these Homeplugs, will it slow down their connection?  To my mind, logically, it will.
Simon.
--

Simon

Simon.
--

Steve

I think I'd buy a base plug and a Wifi plug and see how they get on, I think practically the most you'd ever have is 8-10, so they can buy more additional wireless units if required. The connection will be shared through the base plug so performance may drop off. You could attach a further base unit to the router and create a separate Wifi Network (in theory).

Occassionally in older houses or extensions the mains wiring is not all on the same loop so two plugs will not communicate with each other unless the circuits are bridged but that would be unlucky. I would at least get the 500mbps for the base plug.

Edit: your Amazon link will give you one Additional wifi location and one plug with an Ethernet point in an additional room. PS does it come with cables they usually do.
Steve
------------

nowster

Note that the "Ethernet Over Mains" adaptors far prefer to be plugged into a wall socket of their own and not on the end of an extension cable, however short.

Steve

I would agree I've had success with double sockets I think the mains pass through version is a good idea but not used one myself.

btw Solwise I've found to be prompt , the plugs although not fashion items are fairly robust.
Steve
------------

davej99

I have had excellent results with six Devolo mini AV 500s http://www.amazon.co.uk/Devolo-dLAN-AVmini-Hplug-Network/dp/B004VENMPQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1353671556&sr=8-4. That is a .5 Gb max rate and the devices connect as Gb on a Gb port. Have tried cheaper brands, but found multiple power supply failures. I guess that is where the money is saved. Devolo also have a PC management interface so all passwords etc can be managed from one place to remote outlets. They run cool and auto sleep when not in use. Seem to work between different ring mains.

Simon

They've been to PC World and come back with a Netgear WN3000RP wireless extender.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Rik

Don't you just love people who seek advice...
Rik
--------------------

Simon

:sigh:

Well, I suppose it might work.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Rik

You'll soon know if it doesn't! ;D
Rik
--------------------

Simon

I know!  :bawl:

At least they have no neighbours to complain about wireless signal interference! 
Simon.
--

Steve

Steve
------------

Simon

I think, as long as it works at all, it will be OK for what they want.  It's probably the simplest solution, with only one device to have to worry about. 
Simon.
--