films etc

Started by Baz, Nov 19, 2012, 19:22:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Baz

does any one use Netflix or similar and whats it like

Niall

Everyone I know that used Netflix has stopped using it due to the low quality, even at what they refer to as high definition.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Quote from: Niall on Nov 19, 2012, 23:44:01
Everyone I know that used Netflix has stopped using it due to the low quality, even at what they refer to as high definition.
Oddly enough everyone I know still uses it, quality is good as I see it with HD streaming and some 5.1 audio. Since its a free 30 day trial why don't you test it out, Baz.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

I suppose you can't get better quality currently than HD streaming whether it's 720p or 1080p, so it depends what HD titles are available. Obviously with any HD stream bandwidth usage is going to be high and 1080p is going to be difficult except on fast adsl2+ or FTTC. If it's free there's not a lot to lose really. My only experience is with iTunes and the HD quality is superb and I can't see why the others should be any different

I wonder how many people give up these trials whether it be LoveFilm or Netflix because they watched all they want in the first few weeks and the rest of the library just doesn't inspire them to carry on.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

I've pretty much exhausted the Netflix library as it stands at the moment unless I watch everything again in HD as I now have an uncapped package that's running about 3.4 Meg currently.

zappaDPJ

Most of the people I know who use it still use it. I have heard some complaints about limited content and a couple of specific gripes about poor quality video via Sony Blueray units :dunno: I want to subscribe myself but I currently don't have enough spare bandwidth.
zap
--------------------

pctech

Stuff seems to come out on DVD before it hits Netflix or Lovefilm.

I watched up to the end of series 7 of Spooks, no real point in me ringing Customer Services as they have no idea about when anything is going to be added to the library and the stuff that does appear on New Releases can be 14 years old.

Baz

Quote from: pctech on Nov 20, 2012, 18:44:31
Stuff seems to come out on DVD before it hits Netflix or Lovefilm.

I watched up to the end of series 7 of Spooks, no real point in me ringing Customer Services as they have no idea about when anything is going to be added to the library and the stuff that does appear on New Releases can be 14 years old.

yeah good point about DVd etc. but that 14 years old bit seems to make it not worth it really.

Whats the average size for bandwidth usage then.I do prefer to actually own the film and am getting into Blu Rays now too but it was something that crossed my mind thats all, may be for the likes of tv series and the odd film now and then that I wouldnt fancy enough to buy.

Is there a way to see what is scheduled to be shown with out signing up

Steve

Netflix Movies (HD): These  are around 3.8Mbit, which means it's about 3600MB for a 2 hour HD movie.
Netflix Movies (SD): Each of these movies are around 500-700MB each, depending on the length of the movie.
Netflix TV Shows (HD): A 30-minute TV show will be about 1500MB.
Netflix TV Shows (SD): A 30-minute TV show will be about 400MB.

Copied from here http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-much-monthly-bandwidth-doe-136401  I was too lazy to type it all out again.

No way of seeing what's on without signing up but it's free for a month so what's the risk?
Steve
------------

pctech

It's very good for TV series and it's worth a go (think they are still offering the one month trial), best thing to do is suck it and see, err hrrrm

stevenrw

FWIW we've been using Lovefilm for some time. In fact we started using it via Tesco. We (she) elected for the DVD/BluRay rental route as IDNet's bandwidth allowance was going to prove an issue. OK, it is a pain having to send the discs back via mail but you are never going to have problems with streaming quality, only with the quality of the movies. :-\. I have to say that we've found it easy to use and the service, in terms of turnaround has been very good. I know it kinda goes against the grain for technology buffs to use snail mail when theres a hi-tech option available, but it does work well for us and we'll likely stay with Lovefilm on that basis until such time as the costs start creeping up as they want customers to migrate to the streaming system that will be cheaper for them.
That said, we stared before the advent of Smart TV's with their built in apps for Netflix, and others. Like the others, I'd certainly give any free offer a bash if you are disciplined enough to jump through all the hoops they will set up to retain your business.
You are likely to fall into the "Kid in the candy store" trap to start with but that will give you a good indication of your bandwidth usage and whether it will be practical given that it will be in addition to any normal usage plus such other bandwidth eaters such as Spotify etc.

Gary

There is a way to watch Netflix USA which has a huge library compared to the one we get, due to the nature of the T&C's of Netflix and this forum I cannot condone or recommend this approach but its out there if people want to search for it.

Niall

Yeah a bloke in work uses a proxy to do that :)
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Quote from: Niall on Nov 24, 2012, 13:48:14
Yeah a bloke in work uses a proxy to do that :)
I think there is a simple DNS switcharoo to do that as well, but personally I would not try.

Steve

I'm not sure whether this is illegal or not, your already paying a subscription to Netflix and think possibly to UnlockUS as well and then change your DNS. I guess the licensing terms for some of the US content is where the legality may be breached.
Steve
------------

Technical Ben

It is "illegal" because they write their own laws now. :P
It's more so than an EULA, as actual trade limit apply AFAIK. Export/import restrictions and all that. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

It is against Netflix's EULA to watch outside the territory it's intended for, however I don't see them doing anything about it unless forced by a third party. What are they going to do ban you from using the service and lose a customer,somehow I suspect not.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

I should think localized classification and censorship is also probably an issue.
zap
--------------------

Technical Ben

Quote from: Steve on Nov 25, 2012, 13:19:03
It is against Netflix's EULA to watch outside the territory it's intended for, however I don't see them doing anything about it unless forced by a third party. What are they going to do ban you from using the service and lose a customer,somehow I suspect not.
With everything I see in the news, whatever they do, it won't benefit us as customers. :P
At the least, you loose your account. While it's no problem for streaming services, it is for anything you "own" in the account (like Steam or Ituns etc). I'd not want to get locked out of a couple of hundred pounds worth of my movies/songs/games.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.