recalcitrant Outlook Express

Started by krysia, Dec 04, 2012, 17:16:46

Previous topic - Next topic

krysia

For the past couple of weeks, my Outlook Express 6 (600.2900.5512, running with Windows XP SP3), has been behaving strangely. Sometimes it sends messages as quickly as usual, but other times it hangs - the new e-mail just sits there after clicking 'send', and even after it goes, the sent e-mail remains on the screen.  I thought it might be a problem with IDNet e-mail, but it's not:  while OE is hanging, I've checked via webmail and can see that the message has been sent, even though OE hasn't yet registered that fact. 

Also, when trying to delete and purge items, I very often get a message that the IMAP server isn't available, so I've started to synchonize the account manually quite often, which seems to clear the blockage.

Anyone have any idea of what is happening or how to fix it?  I got a new router around the time the problem began, but I'm not sure that would cause it.

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Do you have any anti virus or other security software that scans emails?
Simon.
--

krysia

Thanks to both of you, but I don't think any of that is causing problems:  I already compact folders when OE prompts me, and I move all big messages out of my Inbox and Sent Items.  Also, I've used eset anti-virus for years and it has never slowed anything down before.

I'm wondering if in fact there might be some issue with IDNet's IMAP servers:  the problem doesn't seem to occur in the mornings but in the afternoon and evenings, at which point I frequently get the 'IMAP server is not available' message.  I'm now synchronising the account manually whenever there's a glitch and that clears things up immediately, allowing messages to download and/or open, deletions and purges.

Baz

dont know if its related but I have times when sending emails and it takes an age to appear in the persons account.

I have even tried to send to myself then look at webmail and its not there, sometimes waiting more than 10mins to get a simple test email with one word content  :dunno:

D-Dan

Have you tried a different client to rule OE out - maybe give Thunderbird a quick whirl - I've never had a client side problem with it.
Have I lost my way?

This post doesn't necessarily represent even my own opinions, let alone anyone else's

Baz

I still havent received emails from last night and sent one to myself this morning from webmail and it hasnt arrived

Ray

Quote from: Baz on Dec 05, 2012, 06:09:08
I still havent received emails from last night and sent one to myself this morning from webmail and it hasnt arrived

This may be the cause of your email problems from Idnet Status RSS feed: -
Service: Email - idnet.com
Updated: 2012-12-05 08:18:06
State: Sub-Optimal Service
Message: There may be delays to incoming email due to one of the mail filtering servers having an issue overnight. Issue has been fixed but some email may be delayed.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Funny, all the spam still got through.  ::)
Simon.
--

Baz

Lance

I'm just confused as to why anyone would be emailing themselves ;D
Lance
_____

Baz

a test Lance  thats all   ;D   or it could be im billy-no-mates 

but saying that I often send email while at work to my home account  so     :nana:

mervl

::) I regularly find that mail sent from my idnet.com mail addresses is reported as undeliverable due to being caught by the recipient's spam filters, between a few seconds up to several months after the event. I have to remember to use my own domain sending addresses.

On the other hand mail sent to my idnet.com address sometimes takes hours to arrive; strangely though it seems to appear on the webmail interface, and be picked up by Microsoft's enterprise server several hours earlier; even though my local copy of Outlook picks up simultaneously both Enterprise mail and directly from IDNet's server at the same intervals (every 30 minutes 24/7). The paid for MS mail operates near-simultaneously in both directions, so I suppose it's the old story of getting what you pay for!