New DGN2200v3

Started by Simon, Dec 08, 2012, 12:27:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

I've just changed my 2Wire 2700 for a Netgear DGN2200v3, and am pleased to see an initial jump in speed to 4864 Kbps, from around 3500 Kbps, on ADSL Max, although, I guess this could simply be due to the switch / restart of the connection.

What I have immediately noticed, however, is an 8-10 second delay in the initial connection to all websites.  Once connected, navigation within websites is fast, so it does just seem to be the initial connection that's being affected.  Has anyone else noticed this with this router?
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Do you known what DNS settings your using and is this affecting all your devices.Also check your using the latest firmware, if not update then reset the router
Steve
------------

Simon

All set to Auto, Steve.  Doesn't seem to affect the iPhone on WiFi.  Have turned AV off on PC, and that makes no difference.
Simon.
--

Simon

Just seen your edit, and it's automatically checked for updates and found none:

Hardware Version    DGN2200v3
Firmware Version    V1.1.00.10_1.00.10
GUI Language Version    V1.0.1.0
Simon.
--

Gary

Put the DNS settings in to windows manually and in the router too, otherwise it will use 192.168.0.1 as DNS, saying that my DGND3700v2 does not cause any slow downs browsing and that's its DNS, but I always put my DNS settings into the Mac manually anyway as its speeds up sending email.

Edit seems someone else noticed this http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=78734
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

OK....  So, showing my ignorance, what are the DNS settings?  :red:
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Dec 08, 2012, 13:03:10
OK....  So, showing my ignorance, what are the DNS settings?  :red:
Have a look on IDNets page it tells you them, they are the servers that you use to resolve lookups on the net, its like a phonebook, you can use IDnets, Googles, OpenDNS Norton's etc. Some are faster, some offer security. I am not sure what IDNets are off the top of my head.

Steve

I agree Gary , it's a manual input under network adaptor properties on the PC

http://www.idnet.net/support/guides/troubleshooting/connection_xp.php

212.69.36.3 212.69.40.3 are the IDNet DNS servers
Steve
------------

Simon

Found them - but they're different to yours, Steve  ;D  I got 212.69.36.3 and 212.69.36.2 from http://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/uk/idnet.html

Anyway, manually entering them on the router, and in Windows, seems to have done the trick.  :)
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Dec 08, 2012, 13:13:57
Found them - but they're different to yours, Steve  ;D  I got 212.69.36.3 and 212.69.36.2 from http://www.whatsmydns.net/dns/uk/idnet.html

Anyway, manually entering them on the router, and in Windows, seems to have done the trick.  :)
Thats not IDnets settings they use 212.69.36.3 and 212.69.40.3 as the second DNS, Simon. Log into IDNets main page and go to settings
DNS Servers    212.69.36.3  212.69.40.3

Simon

OK, I've changed them - so how is that other site wrong?  I thought it was a 'live' check.  :dunno:

I've got to go out now, so will respond again later.

Thanks for the help, guys.  :)
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Dec 08, 2012, 13:24:09
OK, I've changed them - so how is that other site wrong?  I thought it was a 'live' check.  :dunno:

I've got to go out now, so will respond again later.

Thanks for the help, guys.  :)
Always use either settings from Third party DNS like OpenDNS or what your ISP tells you in its setting, its generally safer that way, using the wrong ones opens you up to nasties like DNSChanger. Its a bit like making sure you always get your software from the page of the supplier, otherwise who knows what you may download.

Steve

36.3 and 40.3 are DNS resolvers 36.2 and 40.2 are name servers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System#DNS_resolvers

Not that I'm much wiser.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Dec 08, 2012, 13:58:22
36.3 and 40.3 are DNS resolvers 36.2 and 40.2 are name servers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System#DNS_resolvers

Not that I'm much wiser.
Think ill leave that for another day, or year  ;D

pctech

Leaving the device to pick up DNS is the easiest way as it should automatically pick up IDNet's settings.

Simon

Yes, and it obviously was, but it was causing a delay in connecting to websites.  Now I've manually input IDNet's DNS on the router and in Windows, the problem is rectified.  I may change one or other, or both, back to Auto at some point, just to see if the problem returns.
Simon.
--

pctech

Simon

That's why I started the thread, Mitch.
Simon.
--

Steve

My suspicion was the PC was looking elsewhere ie the previous router and also inserting the DNS at router level is an IDNet recommending setting not forgetting some routers are now preset for Google DNS
Steve
------------

Simon

Is there any way to flush out the old router settings from the PC?
Simon.
--

Glenn

From the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns or looking at the properties of the network connection for DNS enteries
Glenn
--------------------

Steve

Certainly in changing from the 2wire to the Netgear the gateway address will have changed and if DNS was not set in the network adaptor properties previously the adaptor may have been looking for the previous gateway for DNS information.

I tend to let the router pick up the DNS automatically as it should pick up IDNet's and then set the adaptor DNS to which ever is my flavour of the month.
Steve
------------

Simon

I've changed it all back to Auto, and flushed the DNS cache, but the delay has now returned.
Simon.
--

Simon

I've now put the manual settings back into Windows, but left the router on Auto, and the issue is resolved.  Odd that this never happened with the 2Wire.
Simon.
--

Steve

The mysteries of networking at least it's fixed
Steve
------------