New DGN2200v3

Started by Simon, Dec 08, 2012, 12:27:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lance

Windows will use the settings entered regardless of router settings. Obviously if you don't enter any in Windows, it will default to picking them up from the router.
Lance
_____

Gary

Maybe you should swap it out with another unit, it should not behave like that, Windows will pick up the DNS 192.168.0.1 from the router, but that should work. is DHCP still enabled in Windows, Simon? Or was that turned off somehow?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

I'll check when I'm on it later, Gary. 
Simon.
--

Simon

DHCP still enabled in Windows, Gary.  Is there anywhere else that remnants of the 2700 could be lurking?  Given that setting the DNS in Windows seems to resolve the issue, doesn't that point to the problem being within the PC, rather than with the router?
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Dec 09, 2012, 22:12:52
DHCP still enabled in Windows, Gary.  Is there anywhere else that remnants of the 2700 could be lurking?  Given that setting the DNS in Windows seems to resolve the issue, doesn't that point to the problem being within the PC, rather than with the router?
The router acts as a DHCP server handing out ip addresses fro your computer and associated gear. It gives all your internal devices a IP of 192.168.0.1 in the case of the Netgear router, some don't the old DGND3300 passed on the proper DNS addresses, but it seems some Os's don't like that. My iMac browses fine but email does not send very fast unless I put my DNS servers in the computer itself. Not sure why your xp setup set up didn't like the router, could be network drivers for your mobo who knows  :dunno: tbh if it works I'd leave it unless it causes issue. Chalk it up to the mystery's of networking. I think later versions of windows have different networking stacks which may be better so maybe its time to break put Windows seven.  :)

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Dec 09, 2012, 23:41:27
It probably is.  :)
Not before Christmas though  ;)

Simon

My DGN2200v3 was giving me gyp, in that it wouldn't stay logged in for more than about 30 seconds, and then giving 'Page not found' errors until I restarted my browser, and logged in again.  I've now enabled storing of cookies for the router interface, and it seems to have cured the problem, but I've no idea why, or even if the router uses cookies.

Anyway, I have another question - my Wireless Mode is set to 'Up to 145 Mbps', but I see it can be set to 'Up to 300 Mbps'.  I do have occasional WiFi stability issues when at the other end of the flat, so would setting it to the higher setting extend the wireless range?  It does say that the 145 Mbps setting is 'neighbour friendly', so would setting it to 300 be likely to cause interference to my neighbours? 
Simon.
--

cavillas

I have the same router and have had it  since its introduction.  I too had connection problems this morning even trying to log into the router home page but a reboot cured this.  It may have been something to do with the other connection issues mentioned elsewhere.  I have had the wireless connection setup at 300 all the time and my wifes lappie has a very fast connection and no interference problems to or from our router.
------
Alf :)

Simon

Thanks Alf - but is that what the 145 / 300 setting is, the wireless range?
Simon.
--

Steve

The 145mbps works on the 20Mhz band width, upping to 300mbps increases the bandwidth to 40Mhz but I think only adds one extra channel for N wireless. There is a risk that interference from neighbouring  N networks then becomes a problem, actually reducing performance not increasing performance. (I think this is why we ended up with the 5Ghz N network as well,)Suggestion try it and see.
Steve
------------

Simon

May do that, Steve.  I only have one 'attached' neighbour - the rest would all be out of range anyway, I think.
Simon.
--

Lance

I wouldn't worry about the neighbours!
Lance
_____

Simon

It doesn't seem to have made much difference at the moment.  I only get the odd dropout, so I'll see how it goes.
Simon.
--

MisterW

For information chaps, this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,104794.msg892810.html#msg892810 over on the PlusNet forums relates to a Netgear router problem whereby it can retain 'old' DNS information. That problem seems to have been confirmed only with PPPoE type ( e.g FTTC ) connections but it could well apply to other NetGear routers.

Simon

:stars:

Thankfully, I don't seem to have the DNS issue any more.   :)
Simon.
--

cavillas

Mind you most of MY neighbours are far too old to understand what a computer is let alone what a router is. ;D
------
Alf :)

Simon

Simon.
--