Webmail to email client question

Started by peasblossom, Dec 17, 2012, 18:30:36

Previous topic - Next topic

peasblossom

I appreciate not everyone wants to know what junk email they get but sometimes it isn't junk. So, I've got a junk folder but it doesn't come through to Thunderbird. What do I need to do? The junk settings appear to me to indicate that it goes to that folder but clearly something, somewhere along the way, doesn't agree.

Steve

I think you need to 'subscribe' to the Junk folder so that appears visible in Thunderbird- there should be an option for subscribe somewhere in Thunderbird  and it should give a list of possible folders.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

When an email arrives at the IDNet mail server that it considers to be junk, it puts it in a junk folder on the server, accessible via webmail, and there it stays unless you log in and move it. It won't send it to you automatically however your email client is set up.

If you want it to be sent to your email client for local processing login to your account page, Email addresses => Settings => Configure Message Filtering => Disable Spam Filter.

You'll need to do that for each account you've set up, and maybe delete any other rules you may have created yourself.

I found the spam filters to be over-zealous and turned them off ages ago. But then I'm careful where I give my email address and don't get much spam anyway.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I agree Bill but if your using IMAP you are able to subscribe to the Junk folder and see it's contents, on Mac Mail it's there automatically I don't think I set it up.
Steve
------------

Bill

Ah, fair enough, I forgot about IMAP :blush:

I stick to POP3, couldn't get on with IMAP...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

peasblossom

Um, where are the options you've suggested Bill? I can't see Email addresses ==> settings etc in Thunderbird or webmail. I have tweaked the local folder though. (And I am using POP.)

Simon

You could set up an IMAP account in your mail client (Thunderbird), in addition to your POP account, but set the IMAP account to not check for new emails.  New emails will then be downloaded to your POP account, but you can subscribe to the Junk folder in the IMAP account to check that as required, and any wanted mail can then be moved to your POP inbox.   
Simon.
--

Bill

Not in Thunderbird or webmail- in your account page here:

https://www.idnet.net/secure/

You'll need your account  name and password (the same as the ones you enter into your router)

But if, as Steve suggests, you're using IMAP then ignore it- I'm answering the wrong question!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

Steve
------------

peasblossom

Baz

Quote from: Bill on Dec 17, 2012, 18:46:55
When an email arrives at the IDNet mail server that it considers to be junk, it puts it in a junk folder on the server, accessible via webmail, and there it stays unless you log in and move it. It won't send it to you automatically however your email client is set up.

If you want it to be sent to your email client for local processing login to your account page, Email addresses => Settings => Configure Message Filtering => Disable Spam Filter.

You'll need to do that for each account you've set up, and maybe delete any other rules you may have created yourself.

I found the spam filters to be over-zealous and turned them off ages ago. But then I'm careful where I give my email address and don't get much spam anyway.

Yeah I have the same problem and have found many times that when waiting for email I need to check the webmail to get it from junk, its a bit annoying.I dont get a great deal of junk any way so may try to disable the filters and I use Mailwasher too so that should see any spam in the inbox shouldnt it?

Are IDNet filters enabled by default.  Does any one understand them any way  :dunno:

Simon

I have Mailwasher, and have my IDNet spam filters switched off.  Seems to work fine for me.
Simon.
--