Wireless Connection

Started by Lona, Jan 08, 2013, 15:56:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Lona

My wireless connection has always been stable but the other night for some unknown reason it suddenly cut out and I found myself on a Talk Talk wireless connection.

When I checked my network connections my home wireless network had gone. I went into the router and reconnected it and all was OK.  Talk Talk had gone but I just wonder how this could have happened.

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

pctech

I take it you have encryption on your own wireless LAN Lona?

Sounds like something happened with your router so it jumped to an unencrypted network.

Simon

Presumably you don't have anything to do with Talk Talk in the house, so as Mitch said, maybe it was picking up a neighbour's unsecured connection?  If they are good neighbours, it might be worth warning them that their network is insecure, if indeed that is the case, Lona.  If they're not good neighbours, s*d them!  ;D
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Lona

Quote from: Simon on Jan 08, 2013, 16:24:56
Presumably you don't have anything to do with Talk Talk in the house, so as Mitch said, maybe it was picking up a neighbour's unsecured connection?  If they are good neighbours, it might be worth warning them that their network is insecure, if indeed that is the case, Lona.  If they're not good neighbours, s*d them!  ;D

We had one neighbour who's wireless access appeared on our network but it didn't cut mine off. I told them to secure theirs and they did. Mine is secured but I still don't understand how I ended up with the talk talk one. It's never appeared again since I reconnected mine. I wondered if somebody managed to hack into mine and change the name to talk talk.

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

pctech

Change the password and make sure that remote management is switched off (I have remote management switched on on mine but it is set to only accept connections from the IP address of my PC at work)

zappaDPJ

I doubt you were hacked. More likely the device you were using simply reconnected to the next available unsecured network when yours went down. Generally I'd expect most operating systems to ask first because there is a potential security risk to the connecting device but it appears in your case that didn't happen.
zap
--------------------

pctech

I would agree with Zap I doubt very much you were hacked Lona.

Simon

And what would be the purpose of a hack just to change the SSID?  :dunno:
Simon.
--

pctech

Lona

Really will never know what caused it but I've never seen talk talk on my wireless connections again.

Simon

Thank goodness for that!  :)
Simon.
--