Bizarre iplayer problem

Started by karvala, Jan 22, 2013, 16:19:31

Previous topic - Next topic

karvala

Quote from: Steve on Jan 23, 2013, 21:48:33
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/playing_tv_progs/lg_smarttv_iplayerbuffer

Yeah I've seen that, but the (not so!) Smart features in this case are on a Samsung machine, and the BBC haven't said anything about those that I could find.

si_landy

Hmmm - it does look like its the app......though I wasnt aware of any recent update to it (the version date is 2012 I seem to remember).

As for when it started - this Sunday is the only date I can offer as I've been away and don't use the iplayer app very much (which is maybe an indictment of the quality of TV at the moment!)

I'm puzzled that nothing more has appeared on the web..........we can't be the only two people in the UK with this problem?!

Gary

No problems on my Sony BDP 790. I think most TV's do  upscaling but the blu-ray players do a better job generally.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

karvala

Quote from: si_landy on Jan 24, 2013, 08:30:09
Hmmm - it does look like its the app......though I wasnt aware of any recent update to it (the version date is 2012 I seem to remember).

As for when it started - this Sunday is the only date I can offer as I've been away and don't use the iplayer app very much (which is maybe an indictment of the quality of TV at the moment!)

I'm puzzled that nothing more has appeared on the web..........we can't be the only two people in the UK with this problem?!

I think the app was updated because I recall an update notification shortly after Christmas (could have been the end of December, so still 2012); it was one of those where you have to update it otherwise it won't continue.  I haven't checked the details of the version number on the machine since then (I'll check that later), but I'm assuming as I uninstalled and reinstalled the app a few times without it making any difference that it's still that version.

It is puzzling, certainly.  I have found one reference on the web to it: http://www.askmefast.com/Fault_with_BBC_iPlayer_on_Samsung_BDE6100_Bluray_player-qna5670899.html.  I would expect to have seen more complaints, though, but perhaps not many people view iPlayer through this blu-ray player anymore?  ???

karvala

Quote from: Gary on Jan 24, 2013, 08:35:08
No problems on my Sony BDP 790. I think most TV's do  upscaling but the blu-ray players do a better job generally.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Technical Ben

Quote from: karvala on Jan 24, 2013, 03:34:18
Yeah, the app is at the top of my list of likely candidates as well, given that the website version works fine (which to my mind pretty much rules out all problems outside of the blu-ray box or TV).  Curious that there hasn't been more visible outrage amongst other users, though.
What? Really? I am possibly right for a change? On the internet?  :laugh:  ;D
Hope an update sorts it soon. A friend will be taking delivery of his Samsung Smart TV this week. I warned him that the Apps probably won't be as good as a standalone player (you can swap the player if they do give trouble ;) ), but do not wish the errors on anyone.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

thee

I too am having this problem and it's doing my head in!  It worked perfectly when I first bought it a few weeks ago, however, after an update the playback on SD glitches.  Like you HD is fine, so is the radio.  Lovefilm ok and iplayer on all my other devices absolutely fine.  I wondered if you had had any luck?  ???

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

Steve
------------

rogerd

Can I join the club?

Exactly the same symptoms - stuttering audio on iplayer, only curable by changing to HD (which is not always available, of course). TV is a newish LG. The E6100 is brand and will be going back at this rate! Any thoughts welcome.

Simon

Simon.
--

Technical Ben

Could this be bufferbloat?

Devices (or the exchange) might buffer low throughput to send it in "bursts". Thus in SD it comes through in starts and stops. As the hardware/software (at the customers end, in the middle, or at the service providers end) does not realize the user wants a constant stream. With HD content, the buffer is filled, so the signal sent immediately, thus no delay in sending a "packet" from it.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

pctech

I've used the iPlayer app on Xbox and a Panasonic PVR and not had any such issues so I do think its the app.