Quite proud of myself

Started by Noreen, Feb 11, 2013, 18:11:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Noreen

This weekend I changed my computer from a fixed connection to wifi and it works. I did it myself (came close to a nervous breakdown though), not bad at age of 81. ;D

Steve

Well done Noreen, as long as it's encrypted which I assume it is.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

:karmic: :welldone:  Noreen!  :thumb:

But yes, as Steve said, do make sure the wireless connection is secured. 
Simon.
--

Clive

Top marks Noreen.  You are never too old to learn.   8-)

Simon

It must be nice not to be the oldest on the forum for once, Clive.  :evil: :)x
Simon.
--

Clive

Noreen

Thank you all. Yes it is secure, that is one of the things that worried me. I did notice that at one time there were a couple of unsecured BT networks around me. I didn't take advantage though.  ;D

Is it advisable to turn off the router modem when not in use or doesn't it matter?

Simon

I only ever turn mine off if I'm going away, or if there's thunder and lightning about, Noreen, but others may do differently. 
Simon.
--

Lance

The normal advice is to leave the router on at all times, except for the situations Simon mentioned above. Routers are designed to be on 24/7, and normally to ensure you get the best out of your line this is advised.
Lance
_____

Clive

I always switch mine off at night to save electricity.   ;D  Rik told me that it was fine to do so as long as I left the phone jack connected.  By doing that, the exchange is not aware the router is off so will not go through any resynching process. 

Steve

Switching the router off at night is ok as long as your not playing catch up with IP profiles following a series of low sync events.
Steve
------------

Clive

Steve

Saying that Rik never used to switch his off unless storms were in the area!
Steve
------------

pctech

I leave mine on 24/7 except when going away.

Clive

Quote from: Steve on Feb 12, 2013, 19:37:51
Saying that Rik never used to switch his off unless storms were in the area!

I know.  I only started doing it because I have an energy monitor connected to my electric supply.  My Netgear takes 25 watts and I can't justify leaving it on all night.   :angel:

Simon

Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Clive on Feb 12, 2013, 22:45:18
I know.  I only started doing it because I have an energy monitor connected to my electric supply.  My Netgear takes 25 watts and I can't justify leaving it on all night.   :angel:
I have equipment that downloads overnight so mine stays on 24/7 the small usage of a router is really not worth worrying about.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Clive

It's surprising how much a smart meter concentrates the mind.   :laugh:  The only appliance left on overnight is the fridge/freezer which consumes around 140 watts. 

Glenn

It's like the average mpg readout on my car, I always have it displayed, it's reading very well for a heavy car, 37.1mpg
Glenn
--------------------

Clive

Can't fault that Glenn.  I haven't checked my X-Type consumption for many years so perhaps it's time I had a look!   :D

cavillas

I have my mpg display on sometimes and it shows 59-65 mpg, not bad for a 1600 diesel C£ Picasso.  I also leave my router on all the time, even during storms.
------
Alf :)

Clive

That's incredible fuel consumption - well done!  Leaving your router switched on during storms won't damage it but leaving the phone jack connected to it might.  I personally know of 3 people unlucky enough to have had their routers fried. 

Gary

Quote from: Clive on Feb 13, 2013, 14:21:28
It's surprising how much a smart meter concentrates the mind.   :laugh:  The only appliance left on overnight is the fridge/freezer which consumes around 140 watts. 
I've been changing our bulbs to Toshiba E CORE's LED bulbs recently. They are great for instant bright full on light, you can get get decent 4000k for home office so not to blue like the 6400K CFL's, as well as the warmer 2700k for the rest of the home, and a 40w equivalent in my study only uses 7 watts and kicks out more lumens than the CFL variety, they also have a 10 year potential life span with a 100,000 on/off switching life.

The TV only uses 70 watts when on (46") and all our electronics are finally A+ or better since thats the way of newer gear over the last few years anyway. Turning some electronic gear on seems in some cases can cause more issues just from the thermal expansion of components. Cheap Foxconn circuit boards with nasty capacitors in some routers and other electronics don't help of course.

Clive

I've changed to LED wherever possible and it makes a huge difference to my lighting bill.  Our biggest consumer is the dryer which we only use when necessary which has been all the time this winter!   ::)   

pctech

My employer wanted to switch off the exterior lighting around the site after 8 p.m. last year to save electricity and was met quite rightly IMO with opposition from members of staff that worked late into the evening or over night so instead they switched to LED lighting.

It's not bad but I think they need to introduce more reflectors into the fittings.

At home we have the energy saving type florescent lamps but will look at the toshiba ones.

Simon

My problem with energy efficient light bulbs is that they simply aren't bright enough, and I seem to recall something somewhere about the really bright ones being less, or at least, no more efficient than a lesser wattage normal bulb.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

Gary

LED bulbs Simon are brighter
Quote from: Simon on Feb 15, 2013, 14:20:11
My problem with energy efficient light bulbs is that they simply aren't bright enough, and I seem to recall something somewhere about the really bright ones being less, or at least, no more efficient than a lesser wattage normal bulb.  :dunno:
LED Bulbs are brighter than CFL's kick out about the same amount of light as a normal bulb and use hardly any power, they cost more, about £8 a bulb right but cost will drop price like the old ones did. They give instant light and they are the shape of normal bulbs too, but use hardly any power. The 7watt I have kicks out just above the EQ of a 40 watt, looks normal and comes on at full brightness. Nothing like the old CFL energy saving ones and when you add up how much power you use per bulb per hour in a house its a hell of a lot. You can also get ones you can dim unlike CFL's. Mine are like this but bayonet fitting http://www.toshiba.eu/lighting/eu/Products/Lamps/E-CORE_GLS_WIDE_7W/