Nifty (and free) little WiFi analysis app

Started by Reya, Feb 20, 2013, 15:55:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Reya

Apologies if this has been posted about before, but I just discovered a fabulous little app on the Android Market (Play Store) and wanted to mention it here. It's a free WiFi Analyser that shows you all the channels around you, with your own router (assuming your phone is connected to your home WiFi) in red.

My wireless signal at home has always been a bit 'iffy' around the house, so when I analysed it with the app I wasn't surprised to see that two other routers were sharing the channel I was on. (Some channels had about six or seven routers on them!) I logged into my router settings, changed my channel to an empty one, and bingo: my WiFi sped up. Not by a humungous amount, granted, but enough to be noticable (and anyway, I'm still using the ancient Netgear I first bought years ago, so it's amazing that it made any difference at all!  ;D ).

It would be also pretty nifty for people who are out and about and looking for free WiFi locations, as it would let them pick the one with the strongest signal.

Find it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer

Hope someone else finds it as useful as I have. :)
I was cut out to be rich but got sewn up wrong.

Steve

I think they are useful if only to find a non conflicting channel
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Glenn

I've had it installed for the past 3 years, but it's that it sees the light of day. Good little app though.
Glenn
--------------------

Gary

My wife has it installed on her phone, so it tells me channel 11 is better (more green stars) even though I'm the only one on channel 6 here. I change  to channel 11, then it then says channel 6 is better  ::) it what it is.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Glenn

Glenn
--------------------

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't