IDNet Internet connection issues 28/02

Started by Tacitus, Feb 28, 2013, 16:06:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Mar 01, 2013, 11:29:31
Stop getting Mitch excited!  ;)
:laugh: I think they probably will. Sorry Mitch.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

karvala

Quote from: psp83 on Mar 01, 2013, 10:53:00
ISP have less control over FTTC/P though, so you won't be able to pick up the phone and request a profile reset or interleaving to be off etc :(

Yeah unfortunately with FTTC/P ISPs seem to be reduced to the role of a flak shield for BT.  Gotta love it where the people with the ability to change things refuse to talk to the people affected, and leave the powerless ISPs to take the heat instead.  Only Ofcom could come up with a system like that.

pctech

I can technically get FTTP where I am but if ISPs have no tuning control over it then I'll stick with ADSL2+

Wholesale/Openreach needs to be a mutual owned by the ISPs and telcos (including BT Retail)

Niall

Quote from: karvala on Mar 01, 2013, 11:47:57
Yeah unfortunately with FTTC/P ISPs seem to be reduced to the role of a flak shield for BT.  Gotta love it where the people with the ability to change things refuse to talk to the people affected, and leave the powerless ISPs to take the heat instead.  Only Ofcom could come up with a system like that.

Well you can call the ISP to request a profile reset/interleaving to be turned odd, it's just that the ISP now do the phoning/submitting of the ticket after you call them. An nice unnecessary step to make things that bit more stressful for those of us that have constant problems.

I had to get support to request it for me. It seems to be worse when it comes to response times on FTTC too. On ADSL I'd see my 'ping' double when interleaving was on, now on FTTC it's tripled for some reason.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

psp83

Quote from: Niall on Mar 01, 2013, 13:02:23
Well you can call the ISP to request a profile reset/interleaving to be turned odd, it's just that the ISP now do the phoning/submitting of the ticket after you call them. An nice unnecessary step to make things that bit more stressful for those of us that have constant problems.

I had to get support to request it for me. It seems to be worse when it comes to response times on FTTC too. On ADSL I'd see my 'ping' double when interleaving was on, now on FTTC it's tripled for some reason.

They can only request a profile reset if the profile drop is caused by a fault, but BT still can & will say "let the cab do the work, it'll increase in X days if the line is stable".

See this post from Miriam about profile resetting : http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,30422.msg707834.html#msg707834

Interleaving can not be turned off on FTTC/P, it's dynamic and from what I believe, does not have an off setting.
If you have a bad line and have a Think Broadband Graph setup you can sometimes see interleaving increasing your latency and then dropping it, it can happen several times in a day as well.

Technical Ben

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Feb 28, 2013, 19:14:50
A BT engineer who has been tasked to investigate the problem with the primary link that failed this morning, managed to break the backup link!
He has now restored that service and is still working on the primary link problem.
Bloody BT!
I'm late to the party but... This sounds familiar!  :laugh:
I've never had to work with such things, but when I have 2 plugs next to each other I tend to go "don't unplug the backup before plugging in the main" over in my head. Perhaps I could give some training to the BT engineer? ;)
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

It's a bit like a dual light switch really you get a response either way. One good and one not so good but at least you've found the correct circuit, good job they're not doing anything life threatening otherwise you've got a 50:50 chance. BT engineer wishes to become a passenger jet pilot - application denied!
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

cavillas

I feel a bit left out, I didn't appear to have any drop out at all.  What have I done to upset BT and Idnet to be left out of the loop like that?  :bawl: ;D
------
Alf :)

Niall

Quote from: psp83 on Mar 01, 2013, 13:29:55
They can only request a profile reset if the profile drop is caused by a fault, but BT still can & will say "let the cab do the work, it'll increase in X days if the line is stable".

See this post from Miriam about profile resetting : http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,30422.msg707834.html#msg707834

Interleaving can not be turned off on FTTC/P, it's dynamic and from what I believe, does not have an off setting.
If you have a bad line and have a Think Broadband Graph setup you can sometimes see interleaving increasing your latency and then dropping it, it can happen several times in a day as well.

I had an email from support asking me whether I wanted them to confirm that interleaving was to be switched off, so they can and did request it for me. However the system itself does check and automatically apply it though if there are errors on the line. The exact term they used in their email is that they place an "opt out" option on the line. Although BT can choose to ignore this apparently.

Again this would indicate a problem with my line too! /sigh
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

I just noticed that peoples seed test signatures are not showing for me on the forum.but they are on other forums  :dunno: I can see the speedtest.net logo but no info. And they are back now...

Steve

I saw the data was missing earlier I also see it occasionally on TBBQMs not sure whether it's our server/ software or a delay in retrieval at the other end. Zap?
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Niall

My speed is being whittled down to a nub, slowly. Again.

Sod it, I'm off to the pub, beer beckons!
Flickr Deviant art
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Mar 01, 2013, 18:16:25
I saw the data was missing earlier I also see it occasionally on TBBQMs not sure whether it's our server/ software or a delay in retrieval at the other end. Zap?
May be a delay, Steve I saw the same issue on one forum after all but all appears ok now. At least its not just me  ;)

psp83

Quote from: Niall on Mar 01, 2013, 16:56:55
I had an email from support asking me whether I wanted them to confirm that interleaving was to be switched off, so they can and did request it for me. However the system itself does check and automatically apply it though if there are errors on the line. The exact term they used in their email is that they place an "opt out" option on the line. Although BT can choose to ignore this apparently.

Again this would indicate a problem with my line too! /sigh

Was this for your ADSL 1 / 2 line ? As I'm 99% sure you still can't turn interleaving off on FTTC/P

It even states on BT's own site.

QuoteInterleaving can't be switched off for BT Infinity (fibre-based broadband) lines. But you can ask for it to be switched off on ADSL broadband lines - although we don't recommend it.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8547/~/what-is-interleaving%3F-what-are-its-pros-and-cons%3F-can-i-ask-for-it-to-be

If it was for your FTTC connection then support might of asked for interleaving to be reset, but after a few hours the DLM would start re applying it to your line until it reaches a level that's good for your line.