Sky buy O2 abd BE broadband

Started by Gary, Mar 01, 2013, 08:35:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

"British Sky Broadcasting is buying the UK broadband and fixed line businesses of Spain's Telefonica.

It will give Sky half a million customers who use the O2 and BE brands for their home phone or broadband.

It will pay an initial £180m to Telefonica, with up to another £20m being paid once the customers have been switched to Sky" Not sure how/if that effects IDnet

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21627614
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

Interested to see what happens to IDNet's LLU connections  :dunno:
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Mar 01, 2013, 10:03:27
Interested to see what happens to IDNet's LLU connections  :dunno:
Thats what I wondered, Steve.  :dunno:

pctech

Errr yeah me too as I'm on an O2 Wholesale circuit with another provider.

mervl

Apparently AAISP think that wholesale will be migrated to a Sky platform, and O2 themselves publicly say no decision yet taken (according to BeUser group). If O2 don't want to stay around in fixed line broadband/telecomms you can't force them, and (given what they're paying for the "national roll-out obligation" for 4G spectrum) no-one has a bottomless money pit either (though Sky and BT do pretty well). I have a fixed wireless service that utilises Sky's backhaul network, and for reliability and consistency it beats IDNet's BTw platform! No noticeable fails in the last 2 years.

EDIT: I'm wondering though, if as I suspect regulatory consent is required, maintaining a Wholesale service might be a condition of consent; at least to maintain a semblance of competition!

nowster

As far as I can tell from the news reports, Telefonica will continue to sell their wholesale broadband products but subcontract their operation to Sky.

Niall

That'll be the Sky network taking a massive hit. It's another Pipex in the making  :eek4:
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

If it gets that bad I'll have to head back to Zen and BT as C&W performs badly on this line as the only other option is talktalk wholesale  :eek4:

pctech

my latency went up yesterday so I raised a ticket with my ISP who have told me they cant reset the profile as O2 Wholesale have said there's new equipment going into the exchange so everything is now frozen until 8th March.

Niall

Quote from: pctech on Mar 01, 2013, 17:50:49
my latency went up yesterday so I raised a ticket with my ISP who have told me they cant reset the profile as O2 Wholesale have said there's new equipment going into the exchange so everything is now frozen until 8th March.

That's odd. That's what they told my mate when he phoned Sky to complain he's not getting the speed he should be. He's actually sitting virtually on top of his cabinet in a new gated estate near here, which is within half a mile of the exchange itself. Sky have told him he can cancel if he didn't get X speed and now they deny telling him that which is amusing as I was by him when he spoke to them and they told him this! Now they are saying that the Sky router/modem they supply for FTTC can't perform on FTTC and they are looking at either an upgrade or a firmware fix which is due out, yes you guessed it, the week of 8/3/13.

Despite the Sky package looking very nice (would be nicer if they threw in a free top end ipad :p) I really do not trust them or BT, which is why I stayed with IDnet.
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

Quote from: mervl on Mar 01, 2013, 12:53:08
Apparently AAISP think that wholesale will be migrated to a Sky platform, and O2 themselves publicly say no decision yet taken (according to BeUser group). If O2 don't want to stay around in fixed line broadband/telecomms you can't force them, and (given what they're paying for the "national roll-out obligation" for 4G spectrum) no-one has a bottomless money pit either (though Sky and BT do pretty well). I have a fixed wireless service that utilises Sky's backhaul network, and for reliability and consistency it beats IDNet's BTw platform! No noticeable fails in the last 2 years.

EDIT: I'm wondering though, if as I suspect regulatory consent is required, maintaining a Wholesale service might be a condition of consent; at least to maintain a semblance of competition!

From what I've read elsewhere Sky oversubscribe the network in certain areas which is what concerns me, at the end of the day I'm paying for a service from a company whom I'm happy doing business with but unfortunately a third party has to be involved to backhaul the traffic.

We'll see what happens.

pctech

Quote from: Niall on Mar 01, 2013, 18:00:35
That's odd. That's what they told my mate when he phoned Sky to complain he's not getting the speed he should be. He's actually sitting virtually on top of his cabinet in a new gated estate near here, which is within half a mile of the exchange itself. Sky have told him he can cancel if he didn't get X speed and now they deny telling him that which is amusing as I was by him when he spoke to them and they told him this! Now they are saying that the Sky router/modem they supply for FTTC can't perform on FTTC and they are looking at either an upgrade or a firmware fix which is due out, yes you guessed it, the week of 8/3/13.

Despite the Sky package looking very nice (would be nicer if they threw in a free top end ipad :p) I really do not trust them or BT, which is why I stayed with IDnet.

They've scheduled a profile reset for the 9th which is the first day they can do it, the company have been upfront and honest so I've no reason to think they are telling me porkies (though of course O2 could be telling them)

The contract is a monthly one so if the service doesn't recover I'll get my MAC and go, the only reason I'm concerned about it is its looking like I'll be providing cover over Easter and want to work from home but the connection has to be a able to support a VoIP phone system that's latency sensitive otherwise I have to go into the office which I really don't want to have to do.

pctech

Maybe I've been hit by the Sky curse already.

O2 Wholesale have told the ISP they have switched me to fast path but it hasn't made much of a dent in the latency.

Steve

It should drop the latency significantly unless of course the network is congested
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Well I'm going to give a Zoom X7n another shot and have agreed with the person I've been dealing with at the ISP that we'll see how things go when I put the new router in.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Mar 01, 2013, 20:37:18
Well I'm going to give a Zoom X7n another shot and have agreed with the person I've been dealing with at the ISP that we'll see how things go when I put the new router in.

I just exchanged routers, I got a Netgear DGND4000, the 3700v2 I had was advertised as having 128Mb ram even said so in side the box, it had 64mb so I told them that's against trade description etc and got the 4000 instead from of Netgear, so putting that through its paces. It puts out 450Mb over 5Ghz and has a amplifier for that frequency, so the Mac which is set for that can get a good signal anywhere should I choose to move it. The chipset in those routers gives me a great sync on my line which I like as well.

pctech

Well I think I must have got a faulty X7n as I had to unplug it as was nearly overcome with plastic fumes so its going back to Amazon

pctech

Going to give a Billion 7800N another shot as line is better now.

pctech

The Billion is apparently on its way to me so fingers crossed second time lucky, will be using it in NAT mode this time

psp83

I've personally not had any issues with the 7800n, been running it for a while now, on ADSL 2 & now FTTC

pctech

Hasn't shown up today.

Will prob come tomorrow, grrr