latest firmware for Billion 7800N

Started by pctech, Mar 06, 2013, 20:05:41

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

Got it installed and so far, so good.

1.06h appears to be latest UK version, is that correct?

Niall

Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

pctech

seems to be a good bit of kit and improved over my last experience, the only PITA is I'll have to resync my Edimax access point with it as obviously the hardware MAC has changed.

Niall

Yeah I splashed out on one a while ago in preparation for FTTC. I've not had any problems with it at all. Seems very nice :)

I've not tried the new firmware yet, as I normally wait to see what others say before bricking my routers :D
Flickr Deviant art
Art is not a handicraft, it is the transmission of feeling the artist has experienced.
Leo Tolstoy

Gary

Must admit im also lookin at 802.11ac routers, the HTC One is compatible with 802.11ac, and I'm sure many more phones and tablets will be this year so thats a theoretical 1.3Gbps maybe better to look at those these days as that is the future of new products. Pricey but since they are using the same Broadcom chipsets it may be worth it. There should not be the issues of draft issues that happened with 802.11n this time around either, and it should be ratified by the end of the year. Good future proofing.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

The price needs to come down,the Asus ac router is around £170 plus a few compatible devices to make use of it first for me anyways.

Compatible was the wrong word but you know what I mean!
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

As connections get faster I think metered will be the norm so I 300 Meg is about as much as I want a device to be able to put across my Internet connection and the WAN port on the 7800N is 100 Meg so more than enough I think.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Mar 07, 2013, 19:00:02
As connections get faster I think metered will be the norm so I 300 Meg is about as much as I want a device to be able to put across my Internet connection and the WAN port on the 7800N is 100 Meg so more than enough I think.

I doubt it, with 802.ac coming out on devices this year 802.n will be replaced so by end of 2014/15 thats going to be the norm over 5Ghz, its better than building cables into your house, if it works properly that is.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Mar 07, 2013, 11:40:49
The price needs to come down,the Asus ac router is around £170 plus a few compatible devices to make use of it first for me anyways.

Compatible was the wrong word but you know what I mean!
I think the new iPhone will probably run 802.ac if HTC are and I'm sure the new Samsung will. Prices are dropping, the Asus is nice but the Linksy router is faster is faster and the Netgears R6300 has dropped, the adsl version the D6300 is £156 now.

pctech

Quote from: pctech on Mar 06, 2013, 20:34:42
seems to be a good bit of kit and improved over my last experience, the only PITA is I'll have to resync my Edimax access point with it as obviously the hardware MAC has changed.

Access point now connected wirelessly to new router so my Xbox and Freesat box are now connected to the Internet again.

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Mar 07, 2013, 19:00:02

Did you say your WAN port is 100Mbps, isn't it a Gigabit port, Mitch?

Steve

It does have 4 gigabit ports in switched mode but I think the WAN to LAN mode is limited I assume that is processor and ram dependent. I think there's evidence that it's maxing out on some of the faster FTTC connections and I think that was one of the reasons Bill went for the Asus RT -N66U
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Mar 08, 2013, 08:55:40
It does have 4 gigabit ports in switched mode but I think the WAN to LAN mode is limited I assume that is processor and ram dependent. I think there's evidence that it's maxing out on some of the faster FTTC connections and I think that was one of the reasons Bill went for the Asus RT -N66U
I wondered, a friend of mine is after one. The D6300 and the DGND4000 all have Gigabit WAN ports, like the Asus. I thought the 7800N had the same amount of ram as other routers as they all had similar chipsets. Mine has 128MB ram and 128Mb Flash, although I think some newer ones have up to 256Mb like the Asus ac router.

Steve

Not sure on the ram but I will say that my 7800N is not maxing out but then I've only got 45mbps max wan input.
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Mar 08, 2013, 09:02:48
Not sure on the ram but I will say that my 7800N is not maxing out but then I've only got 45mbps max wan input.
Sometimes I think the urge for massive specs like on Phones gets in the way. Although the R6300 can stream 1080P to four HD TV's simultaneously which is very impressive and I'm sure Apple will update their routers  range to 802.ac this year too, Although adding a adsl2+ Modem to an ac router is a bit odd in the D6300. May try one out now the firmware has been updated as I wont be getting FTTC till the end of 2014 and I'm still unsure if I want it anyway  :-\  Hopefully by then you wont have to have a Huawei modems  ;) Be interesting to see what Billion will come out with.

Steve

Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Mar 08, 2013, 09:26:56
http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/hardware/?action=h_view&model_id=866   32Mb
:thumb: Cheers Steve. Those chipsets are getting on a bit I guess, Mine uses a Broadcom 6362 (6361 maybe as it doesn't have the voip/dect part) and a BCM4331 with a set of Skyworks aerials with power amplifier for the 5Ghz side as my iMac can use three streams for 450Mbps. Its also compatible with Time Machine, but only for SL until a firmware update.

pctech

This really is a cracking router.

Seems to be absolutely rock solid.

Noreen

Quote from: pctech on Mar 10, 2013, 17:31:39

It certainly is. :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: pctech on Mar 10, 2013, 17:31:39

reviews of it look great, no good for me as I use the 5Ghz frequency. Waiting for a D6300 to arrive to see what thats like.