A Few Questions on IPv6 / iDNET

Started by Larry, May 03, 2013, 09:57:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I am considering FTTC from iDNET. I notice they are keen to push IPv6 so here are a few questions I hope someone can answer  :)

This is for a home / office setup, with a mix of devices

Desktop PC WinXP
Laptop Win7
Tablet Android
Xbox
Webserver (Centos)

iDNET assign one static IPv4 (assume 123.123.123.123) , and a zillion IPv6.

1. Do I have to configure all devices for all IPv4 or all IPv6 or can it be mixed? Desktop IPv4, Laptop IPv6 ...

2. If the network is configured for all IPv6 then what IP address will be shown if I browse an IPv4 site? The IPv4 assigned to the router 123.123.123.123, or someother translated in the iDNET network?

3. If the webserver is configured for IPv6 then how will visitors from IPv4 devices connect to it? Do I have to dual configure it for IPv6 and IPv4 or is there some kind of translation?

4. I would prefer to have the webserver on a different IP to the rest of the network (as the server maye be a target of portscans / exploits). I can apply to iDNET for an extra IP address but how is this configured in the router? How does the router know that 123.123.123.123 is for the home network, and say 123.123.123.124 is for the server?

Simon

Hi Larry,  :welc: :karma:

Can't answer your questions myself, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.  :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

I'll try my best

1. Devices have both an IPv4 and an IPv6 address.

2. Working Routers with IDNet IPv6 are dual stack ie you can browse both, depending on the OS, you will either connect to the IPv4 or IPv6 site. Most browsers will select IPv6 preferentially although OS X for instance will choose the connection with the least latency.

3. See answer 1.

4. Not sure on this, with IPv4 you will need more than one IPv4 WAN IP address and a router that will pass these on to the device. IPv6 doesn't matter as you have no NAT with each device having a different WAN address.

Firewalling is an issue with IPv6 as it's no NAT so you may need to write your own rules.

Compatible routers with IPv6 so far are the Billion 7800N, ASUS RT N66U ( not the latest firmware)  Frtiz!box (I think) check with support re multiple WAN and IPs and those routers

:welc: :karma:
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

Larry

Thanks for the welcomes and replies.

I think I got it now.

Just the second IP to sort out. Will check with iDNET on that.

Larry

iDNET can supply 4 IPs for £6 a month. That's fine. Forget IPv6 for now. Here's what I am trying to achieve:

FTTC
   |
   \/
VDSL Modem
   |
   \/
Switch -> Webserver (123.123.123.124) with own software firewall
   |
  \/
Router Wan IP (123.123.123.123) with NAT / firewall
    |_> Desktop (192.168.0.10)
    |_> Laptop (192.168.0.11)
    |_> Xbox (192.168.0.12)
    |_> Tablet (192.168.0.13)

Is this possible?

Steve

It's possible Larry but I think the 2nd WAN IP passes through the router. Google will know.If you place a switch as in your post I'm not sure the web server will connect as the connection is PPPOE via the router. Not all routers are capable though.
Steve
------------