Two Routers

Started by psp83, Jun 27, 2013, 11:36:50

Previous topic - Next topic

psp83

Hey.

Firstly, here's a rough pic of how my home network is today (except the red line/router).

Basically this..

• BTo Modem downstairs in the hall next to the phone socket.
  • Billion 7800n in the office upstairs with the gigabit switch 1 and work laptop/pc, network backups and storage & server.
  • Gigabit switch 2, tv, laptop and xbox is in another room.

This is what I want to do....

I have a spare wireless router around somewhere.. I want to connect that to the 7800n in bridge mode via ethernet and use it as a access point, that's the easy part and I've done it before.

Now this AP will be used for clients when visiting so I don't have to give out the main WIFI password and having to keep changing it etc. I can simply log into the AP and change that one / turn it off when not needed.

So the question is, can I block any connections from this AP accessing the internal network, e.g. stop them seeing files on the network storage ?

If I can, how do I do this?

Steve

There's no guest network on the 7800N is there? A router acting as a WiFi bridge will be on the same subnet so therefore will see the LAN. If you've got an additional router which permits a WAN input you could possibly set that up on a different subnet.

On the ASUS RT N66U I just enable the guest network.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Jun 27, 2013, 11:46:52
There's no guest network on the 7800N is there? A router acting as a WiFi bridge will be on the same subnet so therefore will see the LAN. If you've got an additional router which permits a WAN input you could possibly set that up on a different subnet.

On the ASUS RT N66U I just enable the guest network.

I don't think the 7800n does, will have to check up on it.

The router I will be using is just a standard netgear adsl router, nothing special.

Might have to end up getting a different router if I can't work something out.

psp83

I could do it by VLAN on the 7800n, but trouble is..... VLAN is only for IPTV on the 7800n  :(

Gary

Lots of cheap Netgear routers have guest Networks if you could pick up an old v1 DGND3700 (V2 had better modem so v1 not popular) that will do six Guest networks over 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Jun 28, 2013, 09:15:04
Lots of cheap Netgear routers have guest Networks if you could pick up an old v1 DGND3700 (V2 had better modem so v1 not popular) that will do six Guest networks over 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz

It will still have access to the internal network though if I just use a basic bridge way of doing it..

I don't really want clients I don't know (and some family members) connect their laptop and have the chance that they could infect my network or be able to access my files.

I've been reading that billion is working on a firmware update that will contain guest wifi..

psp83

Quote from: Steve on Jun 27, 2013, 11:46:52If you've got an additional router which permits a WAN input you could possibly set that up on a different subnet.

Hi Steve,

Do you know if the Netgear DG834G v3 can do this?

Was is the loft today and came across it.

Steve

There's no WAN Input on that router so it will only act as a Wifi AP on the same subnet.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.