Network Problems?

Started by psp83, Jun 20, 2013, 12:55:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

I'm lowly ADSL 2+ for a month of so more till FTTC and everything has been running ok today apart from my normal line issue, so I'm guessing its LLU. Anything on the BE page about it?
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

jezuk1

Quote from: Wooloff on Jul 13, 2013, 18:25:07
Is you connection up at the moment?

I'm pretty sure I'm LLU as well. I remember a couple of years ago when there was a problem being told my connection was LLU.

I turned the router off for 30 minutes to give it another rest. I'll turn it on again and find out.....
... and the results are: the DSL is synchronised but the PPP is still reporting authentication failure.

Gary

on twitter it says on BE status page says there was an outage at Bury St Edmonds exchange but thats fixed, thats it for today on their updates. The Zen status page is always useful https://status.zen.co.uk/broadband/ type your area code in.

jezuk1

I spoke to support, it's an ongoing issue affecting radius/authentication. I understand they're awaiting updates on the status of the outage.

mk1

I've been out of the house all day but since returning over the last hour I have a dsl connection but auth is failing I am guessing this is what is happening to everyone else on LLU?

mk1

Quote from: jezuk1 on Jul 13, 2013, 18:42:03
I spoke to support, it's an ongoing issue affecting radius/authentication. I understand they're awaiting updates on the status of the outage.

Thanks for the info, Just as I posted mine! Why doesn't IDnet update the status pages to reflect this, the status page never seems to be very useful as its not updated?

andrue

Been okay when I've used it today in South Northants but my TBBQM graph looks proper dodgy:

That's an FTTC connection and if RADIUS is down then nobody disconnect - or hope you can reconnect fast enough that it doesn't notice :fingers:

Gary

Quote from: mk1 on Jul 13, 2013, 18:45:51
Thanks for the info, Just as I posted mine! Why doesn't IDnet update the status pages to reflect this, the status page never seems to be very useful as its not updated?
Last I looked it said broadband: Status OK then above, Announcement Sub-Optimal Service, Status: Partial Service  :eyebrow:

psp83

Same as everybody else, didn't notice it as been in the pool most of the day  ;D

Wooloff

Quote from: jezuk1 on Jul 13, 2013, 18:28:38
I turned the router off for 30 minutes to give it another rest. I'll turn it on again and find out.....
... and the results are: the DSL is synchronised but the PPP is still reporting authentication failure.

Thanks for the information :)

I've given up on it for this evening and hopefully it will be working again tomorrow.

I've pinched the in-laws BT details, so at least I can use the BT Wifi, silly thing is, it's nearly as fast as my normal ADSL lol

mk1

As if by magic my broadband is back.

jezuk1

There is also a voice message when you call the support phone number, but I do agree a little more information on the network status page would be nice. The broadband status isn't really OK when the broadband isn't working :) Still, I can't complain (I've been a very happy customer for 5 years or so) and I'm quite sure Idnet are doing all they can, I suspect the problem is out of their control

Wooloff

Mine is back up as well :)

jezuk1

Quote from: mk1 on Jul 13, 2013, 19:11:49
As if by magic my broadband is back.
Thanks, mine is back too now.

gyruss

I had total loss of broadband pretty much all day due to this, I would like to know the technical reasons as to this outage if possible.
Jase

lozcart

Gary

Had some more disconnections and 3am ish seems BT were replacing a card and diverted traffic but things just stopped, but they had to change the card. So a single point of failure which is not good. AAISP has info here.

https://status.aa.net.uk/apost.cgi?incident=1819

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Jul 14, 2013, 08:01:14So a single point of failure

BT's concept of the "one-stop shop"? :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

andrue

Quote from: Bill on Jul 14, 2013, 08:18:26
BT's concept of the "one-stop shop"? :P
Lol, no. More like the result of the low price we pay for internet access   ;)

lozcart

It would be good if Idnet could do the same sort of reporting and issuing of information that AAISP do, I guess it would mean someone monitoring their connections 24/7.

I find people are more acceptable to problems and time scales of repairs if you are open and honest to them of what the problem is. I'm not saying Idnet misinformed us but there was lack of useful information regarding both the LLU and BT problems yesterday.

Tacitus

Quote from: lozcart on Jul 14, 2013, 09:46:34
It would be good if Idnet could do the same sort of reporting and issuing of information that AAISP do, I guess it would mean someone monitoring their connections 24/7

Someone from iDNet should be posting something somewhere, since they I doubt they are unaware there is a major outage.  When people have to look to competitor's sites to find out what's going on it does not look good.  Some of them might even conclude they are better off elsewhere......

Gary

Both Zen and AAISP have really good status pages, its one thing IDNet really need.

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Jul 14, 2013, 10:13:24
Both Zen and AAISP have really good status pages, its one thing IDNet really need.

Agree.  I don't really see what the problem is.  I know they have an RSS feed but this seems to be updated only sporadically and, in any event, doesn't really tell you much other than there's a problem. 

lozcart

There is a section of the forum for service announcements it would be good if better use of that was made.