Router that can support fibre and ADSL simultaneously

Started by davecollins, Jun 25, 2013, 12:18:43

Previous topic - Next topic

davecollins

Hello all,

I use IDNET's Fibre as my main internet connection, and also have a backup ADSL connection with another company on another line.

Right now I'm using an old Draytek Vigor 2820 as the modem/router for the ADSL, which also connects to a Netgear WNR1000 which in turn connects to a BT box for the fibre. Eugh.

So:

PC - Draytek - line (backup ADSL)
PC - Draytek - Netgear - BT box - line (fibre)

I'm hoping to find a modem/router that can support both the ADSL and fibre at the same time, and so cut out the Netgear router.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

The Draytek 2850n looks possible, but I'm not sure if this will do the trick?

Thanks in advance,

Dave Collins

Steve

Quick answer is no idea, I know routers that will support both but not at the same time, putting two different authentications through the same box seems a challenge to me!
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

MisterW

The 2820 is a dual WAN router, won't that do what you need ?
You can set WAN2 as Ethernet PPPoE ( connected to the BT modem ) to be the primary (Always on) connection and WAN1 (ADSL) to be Active on WAN2 fail.
Quoteputting two different authentications through the same box seems a challenge to me!
The 2820 can do that, no problem, there are separate authentication details for WAN1 & 2.

Steve

I think the 7800n may fall over to adsl but not certain on that!
Steve
------------

Glenn

The Fritzbox 7930 can operate as FTTC or ADSL, it needs to be configured to user each though.
Glenn
--------------------

davecollins

Quote from: MisterW on Jun 25, 2013, 19:42:33
The 2820 is a dual WAN router, won't that do what you need ?
You can set WAN2 as Ethernet PPPoE ( connected to the BT modem ) to be the primary (Always on) connection and WAN1 (ADSL) to be Active on WAN2 fail.The 2820 can do that, no problem, there are separate authentication details for WAN1 & 2.

You are a genius. Or I am an idiot. Or both.

That worked perfectly. And in the process my speed has gone up dramatically too:

Thank-you so much for your help there. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

MisterW

QuoteYou are a genius.
Not really :), I just happen to have a pair of 2820's which are used for VPN between our office and a clients site. The remote one uses WAN1 as ADSL and ours here uses WAN2 as Ethenet into our main router. So I knew it was dual WAN , it was only then a matter of a quick look at the manual...
Happy to be of help.

davecollins

In which case I stick by my assessment of myself. I've been using Dual WAN for years, but somehow it never clicked that it could handle PPPoE without a modem.

Thanks again. There's an empty spot on my desk with your name on it :-)