My BT email hacked?

Started by Technical Ben, Jun 27, 2013, 17:15:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Just had Thunderbird tell me my pass/user name is not working. Going in through the webmail I get a notification of a "unusual activity". I'll be mad if it's been hacked.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

Hopefully they're being over cautious.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

They're moving from Yahoo to a different provider for the btinternet.com domain's email. There are bound to be problems.

And, yes, a lot of Yahoo hosted (including btinternet) email accounts have been hacked.

Technical Ben

Yeah, did it again today.  :mad:
Also, had spam flagged mail that was not spam, and I was certain I had set it to "download anyway" to prevent false positives. Found an email from 2 weeks ago in there.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Clive

The problem is that every day I get lots of hoax e-mails purporting to come from BTYahoo inviting me to click on a link to upgrade my account.  They are all phishing for passwords and take control of your account as soon as you fall for the scam.  Once you enter your password into the link, they will change it and lock you out.  They will then e-mail all your contacts to tell them you are stranded abroad and require money to be forwarded by Western Union.  If you reply then you are replying direct to the scammers not the genuine account holder.  Unfortunately BTYahoo is currently axing thousands of disused accounts in order to free up e-mail addresses and they are sending warnings to all their customers to log in and change their password or lose the account.  I have no idea how you are supposed to tell which is the genuine e-mail!  ::)