Am I being paranoid?

Started by Broadback, Jun 23, 2013, 10:51:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

On loading an Adobe update yesterday I inadvertently, IE stupidly, loaded a "speed up your computer" program. By coincidence (I wonder) my computer started running slow. So I went back to an earlier restore point it seems OK now. So am I being paranoid or do these type of programs slow ones computer down to make a sale?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

Quite possibly, but perhaps more likely, it was scanning for 'errors', which it may have then offered to 'fix', providing you purchased the full version of the program.  You might have been able to just uninstall it via the usual method.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

No. Well, almost no. Adobe are including McAfee (hmmm, had to stop myself typing expletives after that there. ;) ) as junkware with every download now it seems. It's a slippery slope, literally. As what do McAfee include? What do those who include the McAfee include with the inclusions?

Add to that, a lot of the desperate (but not hard working it seems) Virus scanner companies are including "Speed up" services, programs and DLL cleaners.  :slap:

If it's a legit cleaner your ok. If it's a semi legit mundane/useless cleaner your ok. If it's a maleware/adaware it will at least be removable. Else panic!  :eek4:

Best bet is to never install anything offering that service. There is little a program can do, that does not come as standard with Windows now. So any "speed ups" are somewhat snake oil.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Broadback

Thanks, you both make sense.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Gary

I think as long as you always grab updates from Adobe's home page, and untick any boxes for things offered you are ok. Never download updates for Adobe from third party sources.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

john

I was prompted to download an Adobe Flash update the other day and it opened a third party page but like Gary I always download updates direct from Adobe. After downloading the update I was again prompted to update flash so ignored it.

When I did update from Adobe I missed the option to include Google Chrome but at least it told me I was downloading it and I was able to cancel before it had finished and request it again without Chrome.

Technical Ben

Yeah. Even Java now bundles in the Ask Toolbar.  :slap:
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Gary

Quote from: Technical Ben on Jun 23, 2013, 15:40:42
Yeah. Even Java now bundles in the Ask Toolbar.  :slap:
Thankfully I don't need java, I wont let it on my Machine, flash player is the next to go.

Christopher

Quote from: Gary on Jun 24, 2013, 06:36:51
Thankfully I don't need java, I wont let it on my Machine, flash player is the next to go.

That's interesting Gary but I thought that some sites won't perform correctly without java.
Regards
Chris

Gary

Quote from: Christopher on Jun 24, 2013, 14:17:14
That's interesting Gary but I thought that some sites won't perform correctly without java.
Javascript and Java are not the same, sites behave oddly without Javascript enabled, but I don't use any sites that need Java (JRE) myself. Its a nightmare for security and should be disabled in your browser until you need it if you have it installed. I never installed it and am doing fine, no site has asked me for it either in years.

Christopher

Quote from: Gary on Jun 24, 2013, 14:26:42
Javascript and Java are not the same, sites behave oddly without Javascript enabled, but I don't use any sites that need Java (JRE) myself. Its a nightmare for security and should be disabled in your browser until you need it if you have it installed. I never installed it and am doing fine, no site has asked me for it either in years.

Thanks for the reply Gary.I have these in my firefox add-ons,should I keep or remove? Thanks

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.250.17NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy

Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U25Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.25.2 for Mozilla browsers
Regards
Chris

Steve

I wouldn't worry too much, the chances of being stung are almost certainly quite remote.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Jun 24, 2013, 18:42:20
I wouldn't worry too much, the chances of being stung are almost certainly quite remote.
Considering the warnings for Java from places such as us-cert, Secunia etc and Zdnet etc to name but afew, and the fact even Apple blocked it in the browser shows its quite a easy to get stung...closing a window of opportunity is worthwhile if you even need Java. Considering the last update had 40 patches in it, I would take the side of caution.

Gary

Quote from: Christopher on Jun 24, 2013, 18:37:39
Thanks for the reply Gary.I have these in my firefox add-ons,should I keep or remove? Thanks

Java Deployment Toolkit 7.0.250.17NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy

Java(TM) Platform SE 7 U25Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.25.2 for Mozilla browsers
I would disable them if you need them re-enable. It closes another area of attack, and Java is regularly a cause of zero day nasties.

Christopher

Quote from: Gary on Jun 25, 2013, 19:04:52
I would disable them if you need them re-enable. It closes another area of attack, and Java is regularly a cause of zero day nasties.

Done,haven't had any probs so far. Thank you.  :)
Regards
Chris

Gary