Getting rid of Babylon and Delta search

Started by Broadback, Jul 02, 2013, 16:32:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I've Googled this problem, and end up with the suggestion of using software which is quite expensive. Any ideas please, or where to get information on the subject?
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Broadback

Unfortunately I cannot find either program in the program files. By the way I use google chrome.

Simon

So, if you click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program (or Add / Remove Programs), do they not show up in that list?
Simon.
--

Broadback

Clive

I've had the misfortune of downloading several of these rogue browsers piggybacking on WinZip or other legitimate software.  I got rid of them by uninstalling Chrome, rebooting, and reinstalling Chrome. 

Simon

Quote from: Clive on Jul 02, 2013, 20:09:16
I've had the misfortune of downloading several of these rogue browsers piggybacking on WinZip or other legitimate software.  I got rid of them by uninstalling Chrome, rebooting, and reinstalling Chrome

Isn't that being a glutton for punishment?   ;)

All I can suggest, BB, is something like Malwarebytes Free, but you may find something useful here: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/923451
Simon.
--

Clive

::)  The reason it works is because the rogue browser has already uninstalled Chrome but now masquerades as Chrome.  This is why it doesn't show up in uninstall programs.  By uninstalling Chrome you are uninstalling the fake browser and you can then install the real Chrome again. 

Simon

But by uninstalling Chrome, and installing a real browser, surely that negates the possibility of Chrome being hijacked again?   :slap:
Simon.
--

Clive

If you had been using Firefox then it would have hijacked that instead.  All I did was to revert to IE to download Chrome again.  :P

Broadback

Thanks folk, I have removed and re-installed chrome, all seems well.

Clive