BT router questions

Started by Ninja, Jul 08, 2013, 15:19:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja

Hello friendly internet beings.

I am a potential customer of the company whose name is plastered all over and I'm burdened by a question that I'm sure you've all seen before.  Therefore I beg your indulgence and patience as I did have a little flick and click through your other pages but couldn't quite see what I wanted.

I am currently not enjoying the shafting BT are giving me where my internet should be and apparently I'm set up for FTTC, so I have BT's Home Hub and glorious Openreach whitebox of justice.

This is my question, for those of you of a TL:DR persuasion: Will my homehub and openreach stupid box work with ID net or will I need to reinvest in some other things, like the box they suggest to me on their drop down menu?

If this is in the wrong place, or overly florid I apologise, I really do.

N.

Glenn

:karma: :welc5:

As far as I'm aware the HomeHub is locked to BT so will not work with other ISP's, so you would need to buy a 'cable' router. 
Glenn
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

:welc5: :karma:

As Glenn states they are essentially locked to BT, as regards a router a lot depends on your current and future WiFi needs. Obviously with regards FTTC it's care of OpenReach until the host link take off to IDNet
Steve
------------

Clive

There are many BT customers on this forum Ninja.  Dumping them is a very cleansing experience.   :laugh:

Ninja

Quote from: Clive on Jul 08, 2013, 20:24:57
Dumping them is a very cleansing experience.

I imagine that when I have finally burned their rancid memory from my weeping brainbox I will feel cleansed in a way that even a colonic couldn't reach.

What I'm trying to say is: do I still need to pay line rental if I don't want a landline?  I assume I do as it's FTTC not FTTP, but just thought I'd put it to you nice people.

Cheerio!

Ray

Ray
--------------------

brian_idnet

Hi Ninja,

You would still need an active telephone line for FTTC services, however the line does not need to be with BT.

Regards,

Brian
IDNet Support

Ninja

Thank you very much Brian, that's the information I sought.

I'm guessing this is when I give you a Karma, although that seems a bit of a mixed concept.  I'll click the button anyway, because I'm a great believer in doing what everyone else does.

Toodle-oo.

Simon

There isn't a huge amount of thinking required with Karma.  We use it as a welcome to new members, and it can be given as you like, to anyone who does you a good turn or makes you laugh.  Or both.  ;D
Simon.
--

Lona

:welc2: to IDNetters, Ninja.  I think you have a wee touch of ADHD  :evil: ;)

If one took the Scots out of the world, it would fall apart
Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Clive

Another Rodders in the making Lona!  :laugh:

Lona

Quote from: Clive on Jul 10, 2013, 07:55:29
Another Rodders in the making Lona!  :laugh:

You'd better believe it. ;D

Dr. Louis B Wright, Washington DC, National Geographic (1964), from Donald MacDonald, Edinburgh :thumb:

Simon

What may not be obvious to some is that Clive is referring to a long standing member of Pals with a particularly eloquent wit, not the Rodney character from Fools and Horses!  ;D
Simon.
--

Steve

Thanks for that Simon I guessed it might be an 'in' joke, the comments did bring a puzzled frown to my forehead.
Steve
------------

Simon

Clive and Lona, of course, go back to the dawn of time, as well as the dawn of Pals.  ;D
Simon.
--

Glenn

If not the dawn of time itself.
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

There's an echo in here.  :D
Simon.
--

Den

It must be the Liverpool Echo on your Daily Post.  :eyebrow:
Mr Music Man.

Glenn

Quote from: Simon on Jul 10, 2013, 20:35:43
There's an echo in here.  :D

My excuse is working too hard, only got time for 4 cups of tea in 14 hours today, non stop questions can you do this, why isn't this done etc. Where's my violin?
Glenn
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

Clive

Quote from: Glenn on Jul 10, 2013, 20:34:57
If not the dawn of time itself.

It's certainly starting to feel that way.  But you may yet face Lona's wrath.   :evil:

Lona

Quote from: Clive on Jul 10, 2013, 22:14:35
It's certainly starting to feel that way.  But you may yet face Lona's wrath.   :evil:

Just ignore them Clive.  You know what they say about the "Older the Fiddle" ;)

Ninja

Quote from: Lona on Jul 11, 2013, 01:50:11
Just ignore them Clive.  You know what they say about the "Older the Fiddle" ;)

The older the fiddle, the older the fiddler?

Perhaps I've spent too long in the sun.

Auch-wheedle-Seine.

Simon

Simon.
--

Lona