Leaving Idnet - Somewhat Reluctantly!

Started by Rudds, Jul 20, 2013, 11:50:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

That's the same as an old car performing the best it has in years, the week before you sell it.  ;D
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

J!ll

Den

Well today was the big day and all went smoothly (so far). I did not really know what to expect but the BT guy arrived on time and was very helpful in what he did. Just a bit of a worry when a chap of my age new more than he did, how do they get the name engineer or is it bit like a Genius is to Apple? Initial speed tests are giving me about 37mbs download and 9.3mbs upload so very happy indeed. I still wished that I did not have to leave Idnet but needs must and at least I can still come on here.    8-)
Mr Music Man.

Simon

Simon.
--

Den

Mr Music Man.

Gary

Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Gary

Quote from: Den on Aug 08, 2013, 22:04:43
Well today was the big day and all went smoothly (so far). I did not really know what to expect but the BT guy arrived on time and was very helpful in what he did. Just a bit of a worry when a chap of my age new more than he did, how do they get the name engineer or is it bit like a Genius is to Apple? Initial speed tests are giving me about 37mbs download and 9.3mbs upload so very happy indeed. I still wished that I did not have to leave Idnet but needs must and at least I can still come on here.    8-)
Alot of the installers are sub contractors not BT engineers, Den. My mothers BT seems to have settled down a bit although her BT vision would not work last night as the speed drops (new connection like yours) BT's DNS seems a bit slow but its ok, the email is a pain in the backside though. If it all runs fine you should have no worries but waiting 35 mins for an Indian call centre that does not understand what a homeplug is (BT put these in) makes you want to bang your head on a table  :bawl:

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Gary on Aug 09, 2013, 09:24:42
Alot of the installers are sub contractors not BT engineers, Den.

I've noticed recently that every time there's an engineer working on the FTTC cabinet here, there's also a van parked by with 'working on behalf of  BT' written on the side and they are certainly not Openreach.
zap
--------------------

pctech

Openreach have overreached or are overstretched  ;D

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Aug 09, 2013, 13:49:30
I've noticed recently that every time there's an engineer working on the FTTC cabinet here, there's also a van parked by with 'working on behalf of  BT' written on the side and they are certainly not Openreach.
They also use sub contractors at the exchange for FTTC work, Zap. Basically to much work for the amount of engineers they have. When I get mine put in I'll get my BT guy to hang the modem on the wall the day before the call and remove the RF3 filter I have at the moment and do a nice tidy wiring job before the guy comes round, then all he has to do is connect at the cab and watch me test, and since they are paid per install they are happy with that as thats what he did with his install.  ;D

Gary

My mothers BT issues continue, she cancelled an engineers visit after a 20 minute wait on the phone, then got a automated call saying the time and date of the visit, she cancelled it again to day (15 min wait) and just got another automated call telling her the date of the visit  :laugh:

Simon

They're trying... very trying.   ::)
Simon.
--

Den

My Infinity is running spot on at 37.48mps with a upload of just under 9mbs. I was concerned about the BT Home Hub after just buying a Netgear and a range extender but I did not need to be concerned as the Home Hub blows the Netgear away.

Using the Range extender I now get max signal all around the house even in my lounge where I have never had any signal before. The extender is plugged into a socket further away from the Home Hub at a socket where I could not get a signal before. So up to now very happy indeed.   ;D
Mr Music Man.

pctech

Den

Mr Music Man.

pctech

Den

Mr Music Man.

Den

Still getting 37.48 mps download with 9mbs upload. The only thing I've noticed that has concerned me is my usage. With Idnet I never went over 10gb but with BT in my first month (which started on the 8th) I used about 16gb. Also for usage BT add download and upload together.   :dunno:
Mr Music Man.

Steve

That's the problem with FTTC you use a lot more, for instance, if your watching an online video stream and don't wish to watch it all with adsl the amount downloaded is not much more than what you've already watched, with FTTC it will quickly download the whole stream so the rest is wasted data. Myself I watch more video streams and downloaded video than I did on adsl just because it's so quick,hate waiting for streams to buffer on adsl.
Steve
------------

Lance

Some of the additional usage could well be the uploads too, which IDNet don't count.
Lance
_____

Den

My download has not increased as far as I'm concerned and without the upload it read about 16gb which is way over my normal download.  :-\
Mr Music Man.