Lakeland hacked

Started by Simon, Jul 23, 2013, 19:26:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

QuoteLate on Friday July 19th we discovered that the Lakeland website was being attacked by hackers in a sophisticated and sustained attack. Immediate action was taken to block the attack, repair the system and to investigate the damage done and this investigation continues.
Today it has become clear that two encrypted databases were accessed, though we've not been able to find any evidence that the data has been stolen.  However, we have decided that it is safest to delete all the customer passwords used on our site and invite customers to reset their passwords next time they visit the Lakeland site. Next time you log-in to your Lakeland account you will be asked to reset your password and provide a new one. It is not necessary to do this straight away, just the next time you want to use the account.

We also advise, as a precaution, that if you use the same password on any other account/s, you should change the passwords on these accounts as soon as possible. We do not know for certain that the hackers succeeded in stealing data, however since there is a theoretical risk and because it is our policy to be open and honest with our customers, we are being proactive in alerting you.
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Clive

Thanks for the heads up Simon.  Lakeland are outrageously expensive these days and I won't shop there anymore. 

Simon

Oddly, I don't actually ever remember shopping there, but I must have done once for them to have had my email.  The worrying thing is, I may have used the same password for other shopping sites.   :-\
Simon.
--

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

Clive

They used to be known as Lakeland Plastics.  They sell cookware.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Clive on Jul 24, 2013, 09:24:08
They used to be known as Lakeland Plastics.  They sell cookware.

Ah I actually do know who they are, I was in one a week or two ago. It was a really odd shop, situated on a busy retail park and we were the only people in it.
zap
--------------------

Clive

Not surprised because they are so ridiculously expensive.  We visited the one in Bicester Village a few weeks ago thinking we might buy a milk saucepan but they were charging 29 quid!   ::)

J!ll

A Cumbrian business  :thumb: I love their stuff! get what you pay for and it's guaranteed for life!

Clive

Only useful if you are relatively young Jill.   :laugh:

J!ll

Gary

Quote from: Clive on Jul 26, 2013, 08:24:08
Only useful if you are relatively young Jill.   :laugh:
Why on eath do you have to be young to shop at Lakeland  :eyebrow: Have they got a secret 18-30 Latex and rubber bondage section  ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Gary on Jul 26, 2013, 13:14:15
Have they got a secret 18-30 Latex and rubber bondage section  ;)

No but they do have sexy blue silicone ice trays @ £4.99 a pair. That's what I bought ;D
zap
--------------------

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Jul 26, 2013, 13:20:19
No but they do have sexy blue silicone ice trays @ £4.99 a pair. That's what I bought ;D
;D

Clive

I buy bags of ice from Aldi's for 70p.  Tesco charges £1 but their ice congeals into a block after a few hours in the freezer.    >:(

Gary

Quote from: Clive on Jul 26, 2013, 21:39:14
I buy bags of ice from Aldi's for 70p.  Tesco charges £1 but their ice congeals into a block after a few hours in the freezer.    >:(
I would not trust the water source, I filter all my water so even the ice I make is better tasting and has fewer impurities.

Clive

My mother always used to tell me "you've got to eat a peck of dirt before you die" and it never did me any harm.   :whistle:

Simon

I've bought bags of ice on occasions, and can't say I've noticed they taste bad!  ;D
Simon.
--

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Jul 28, 2013, 01:32:19
I've bought bags of ice on occasions, and can't say I've noticed they taste bad!  ;D
Depends who had a wee in them I guess  ;)

Simon

They weren't yellow.  ;D
Simon.
--

Gary