Safari 6 not doing well in browser stability

Started by Gary, Aug 21, 2013, 09:48:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Firefox 22 really shines, with an error rate so low that it doesn't chart at all. Chrome 27 comes second with an error rate of about 0.015 per cent, and next is IE 10 with its 0.05 per cent rate – not bad at all, really.

So which browsers could use improvement? Opera 12 didn't do so well on Sauce Labs' tests by modern standards, with an error rate of 0.08 per cent. That puts it somewhere in IE 9 territory, as far as stability.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08/20/firefox_top_marks_browser_stability/
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

zappaDPJ

What that tells me is that the majority of browser issues are related to plug-ins and dependencies. For example the Flash plug-in causes FF to stop responding on my PC regularly (more than once a day) and script errors do the same.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Steve

It's odd because FF is the most unstable out of the three I use.
Steve
------------

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Steve on Aug 21, 2013, 13:09:03
It's odd because FF is the most unstable out of the three I use.

It is for me by a country mile but there's always additional factors involved, usually a flash failure which incidentally I've never had happen in any of the other major browsers.
zap
--------------------

Gary

I tend to find script errors do with firefox and flash with Safari. Nothing like once a day though maybe once in a month.

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Aug 21, 2013, 14:02:53
It is for me by a country mile but there's always additional factors involved, usually a flash failure which incidentally I've never had happen in any of the other major browsers.
That could be hardware acceleration issues, have you got the latest drivers for your GPU, Zap?

zappaDPJ

I have Gary. I think one factor might be that I run multiple windows across multiple monitors coupled with the fact that FF is my workhorse and loaded to the brim with development tools. Nevertheless it should still be stable and it has been in some previous versions but the current version is proving pretty dreadful.
zap
--------------------