Email down?

Started by Arctophile, Aug 13, 2013, 09:32:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctophile

Is IDNet e-mail down this morning?

My Windows Mail client is timing out.

Nothing on IDNet status page.

davej99

Likewise. Winmail times out on all IDNET ID's. Other providers OK.

Bill

Mine too- had an RSS earlier:
QuoteService: Announcement
Updated: 2013-08-13 07:08:16
State: No Service
Message: mail.idnet.net (Domain Mail / idnetfreemail.co.uk / idnet.co.uk) will be unavailable for a short period whilst we implement a patch to the GMS software.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Baz

yeah down here too.

and yeah why no status update for the people that dont have the rss

Bill

Quote from: Baz on Aug 13, 2013, 09:46:42... the people that dont have the rss

Status updates are available for anyone who wants them... just put the url into your RSS client and set the update frequency.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Bill

Up and running again here.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

I never felt a thing!   :)
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

No sense, no feeling :P

:running:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

Simon.
--

Baz

Quote from: Bill on Aug 13, 2013, 09:59:53
Status updates are available for anyone who wants them... just put the url into your RSS client and set the update frequency.

yes but for those that dont have them??  or dont want them.the IDNet home page has a Network Status page that didnt show any thing this morning, now only showing

Announcement    Sub-Optimal Service    Status: Partial Service

saying it will be off for 10 minutes  at 11:29       still down for me

Simon

The network status page states:

"Shortly - the idnet.com mail server (and some internal admin applications) will be offline for approximately 10 minutes to facilitate maintenance to the server.
Posted: 2013-08-13 11:29:00 Updated: 2013-08-13 11:29:00"
Simon.
--

Bill

Quote from: Baz on Aug 13, 2013, 14:19:02

yes but for those that dont have them??  or dont want them.the IDNet home page has a Network Status page that didnt show any thing this morning, now only showing

Announcement    Sub-Optimal Service    Status: Partial Service

RSS feed, just for you:

QuoteService: Announcement
Updated: 2013-08-13 11:29:00
State: Sub-Optimal Service
Message: Shortly - the idnet.com mail server (and some internal admin applications) will be offline for approximately 10 minutes to facilitate maintenance to the server.

Sorry, but the information is available. If you choose not to receive it then it's your problem.

It's not as if it happen so often it clogs up your HDD or CPU.

edit- it went down briefly a few minutes ago, and is now back up again.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Baz

WOW!!!! thanks Bill  you can be the official RSS re-feed poster here for those that choose not to use it, then we wont have a problem and will save me the bother  ;)

Simon

Well, If you can 'bother' to look at the website and not see the announcement, then post here, it would seem a darn sight easier to enable the RSS feed!  ;)
Simon.
--

Bill

Brilliant things, RSS feeds.

They tell me, I don't have to go looking :)

My favourite two are the daily usage updates and new titles added to Project Gutenberg!
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

I thought that was a cake!  ;D
Simon.
--

Bill

:laugh:

But it prompted me to correct a typo :P
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Baz

Quote from: Simon on Aug 13, 2013, 14:41:27
Well, If you can 'bother' to look at the website and not see the announcement, then post here, it would seem a darn sight easier to enable the RSS feed!  ;)

:D  yeah funny. I looked first thing this morning and there was no announcement, if there was and I missed it, ok good point.

the update in the announcement was even out of date, time related so hardly accurate  :)

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Aug 13, 2013, 16:06:51
:D  yeah funny. I looked first thing this morning and there was no announcement, if there was and I missed it, ok good point.

the update in the announcement was even out of date, time related so hardly accurate  :)
Baz if you use Firefox which I think you did, or other supporting browsers you can have the RSS feed in the bookmark toolbar if you use it. No add ons required.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Steve

I assume if only IDNet mail is not receiving then the server is down, no RSS no status page required. I don't need to be told again what I already know. :evil:
Steve
------------

Gary

Quote from: Steve on Aug 13, 2013, 17:48:34
I assume if only IDNet mail is not receiving then the server is down, no RSS no status page required. I don't need to be told again what I already know. :evil:
What is it they about assumption? Oh yes its the mother of all screw ups   ;)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

To be honest. I don't have the RSS feed, and I almost never look at the status page.  If something is wrong, I come here.  :)
Simon.
--

Baz

Quote from: Simon on Aug 13, 2013, 19:25:30
To be honest. I don't have the RSS feed, and I almost never look at the status page.  If something is wrong, I come here.  :)

:laugh: :laugh:  yeah probably the best place to visit first

mervl

I always understood it was not good to rely on your ISP's mail service which is like any freebee, so have always paid a small fee for a business class service (which hasn't let me down). It also looks like that account can still, at least sometimes, collect IDNet mail on those rare occasions when I can't log in directly. I kept it on even once I retired and halved my income, as it still meets my value for money needs. I still think the communication disease is like any drug though, and a bit of cold turkey does me good.

Bill

Quote from: mervl on Aug 13, 2013, 21:31:44
I always understood it was not good to rely on your ISP's mail service

I don't rely on it, but I use it...
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6