What are LCP EchoRep messages in syslog?

Started by davidthornton, Aug 21, 2013, 01:27:30

Previous topic - Next topic

davidthornton

I'm running a Draytek 3200 with three WAN connections. WAN1 and WAN3 are FTTC (BT Infinity and IDnet respectively). WAN2 is cable. I have a Syslog server in operation, logging from the 3200, and I am noticing a lot of LCP timeouts on both WAN1 and WAN3. The messages I am seeing in Syslog are all slightly different but are similar to "WAN3 PPPoE <== Protocol:LCP(c021) EchoRep Identifier:0x04Magic Number: 0x8880 7b d1 # #". I am getting a vast number and eventually they could be what is appearing to knock the router out for 5-10 minutes, every so many hours.

Does anyone know what these errors mean and whether I should be seeing so many on both of my FTTC connections?

Steve

Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

nowster

LCP Echos are part of the PPP protocol. They're one end saying to the other "Are you there?" If enough are not replied to, the link is presumed dead and the equipment will reattempt a connection somehow.

I spent a full 24 hour period in December 2005 debugging the L2TPNS software trying to find out why modems were dropping the connection... It was because l2tpns wasn't putting the right "magic number" in the LCP Echo requests, and they weren't getting responded to.