Tranferring programs

Started by Broadback, Sep 04, 2013, 15:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

My computer started missbehaving again, so I did a factory fresh Windows build. It is now working faultlessly. So before doing so I saved everything I wanted, however I now have a number of programs I would like to restore, is there anyway to do that from the old Program Files directory? I can find most of the on the internet, but that is what beggared it in the first place, as they sneak all sorts of rubbish on at the same time. I do now realise that one should never accept the easy option but go for advanced option when running these download programs which allows one to refuse all sorts of junk, but I would prefer not to go that way if possible.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

I don't believe you can restore programs from Program Files, unless you have the original installation package. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Ray

Unfortunately Simon's right you'll have to reinstall all your programs, if you've done a fresh install of Windows you wil have lost all the registry settings for all your programs.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

However, I would be looking for alternatives to programs that come bundled with cr*pware. 
Simon.
--

Broadback

How can you ascertain before downloading a program that is is "cr*p ware" free? It took me quite a while to find the correct option for downloading Mozilla Thunderbird straight with no add-ons, the same for Moz backup!

Technical Ben

Sadly you cannot. Even Adobe and MS seem to want to install McAfee on your PC now with every update. :(
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Simon

Indeed, but there are usually options not to install additional bundled software.  It also depends on where the downloads are sourced from, as some download sites want you to download their installers before they let you download the actual program you want.  I find it's usually best and safest to download from the program vendor's site direct. 

My point was, if a program you use comes with cr*pware, it might be worth looking at alternatives that do the same thing.  Unfortunately though, if you're looking for free programs, they do often come with 'extras' attached.  :(
Simon.
--

Simon

To take the Thunderbird example, the SeaMonkey suite is, in all but appearance, essentially, Firefox and Thunderbird combined, and I believe it's a perfectly 'clean' download from: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/.

The default theme is horrible, but the Modern theme, applied from the View menu, is much nicer. 
Simon.
--

Gary

I agree with Simon, always download programs from the developers website, Firefox from Mozilla.org etc. Flash player offers downloads but just don't tick them, always use advanced installers if possible and remove what you don't need. Also some sites end up with malware bundled with installers, which is why its always best to get from the source. Look at what you need maybe post a list of what you need and maybe we can find  alternatives with better download sources, or advice on the installers.  :)
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Broadback

I have successfully download Moz and Moz backup, as you say going direct. However I have tried to down load Google Chrome, and am completely unable to find a clean one. Using the option I can refuse some of the software but with others the only offer is to accept or stop the download. The air is blue here!

JB

Quote from: Broadback on Sep 05, 2013, 12:47:36
I have successfully download Moz and Moz backup, as you say going direct. However I have tried to down load Google Chrome, and am completely unable to find a clean one. Using the option I can refuse some of the software but with others the only offer is to accept or stop the download. The air is blue here!

Take a look at oldapps.com They have versions of many programs without all the extra cr@p. It's not just old apps that they have, many of the programs are current. Here is a link to the Chrome page:-

http://www.oldapps.com/google_chrome.php

I use this site frequently when I am installing a new computer and I want programs that are clean of spyware etc...

Hope this helps.
JB

'Keyboard not detected ~ Press F1 to continue'

Ray

Where are you trying to download Google Chrome from? I've just downloaded and installed the latest version from Google.co.uk and there's nothing else been downloaded or installed with it.
Ray
--------------------

Broadback

Thanks Ray, that has worked fine, I do not now why I could not find it, obviously looking in the wrong place!

Simon

Why bother with software you don't need, though?  If you already have a web browser, why clutter the machine with others?
Simon.
--

Steve

I occasionally use a different browser on OS X ie speed tests on TBB as the required plug in gives an erroneous result.
Steve
------------