kn*ckered computer

Started by Broadback, Aug 25, 2013, 12:36:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Den

Join the W8 club Steve, come on you know you want to.   ;D
Mr Music Man.

pctech

I'll wait for Windows 9 or it could be Windows Lehman if MS is on the ropes.

Den

Have you tried W8 for any length of time?  I had to use a computer with Windows XP the other day and I must say I hated it, so slow.   ;D
Mr Music Man.

pctech

Yes Den, I've had to get used to using it as a proportion of the customer base I support uses it, I've been on Win 7 since last August when I took delivery of my new system when the old Pentium D which was a monster of a system when I bought it just couldn't cut it anymore.

Simon

I've been using Windows 7 for three weeks, and find it quite temperamental compared to XP.  Things just seemed to work on XP and the OS seemed perfectly robust.  With Windows 7, I've had trouble with unreadable fonts, black boxes over icons, compatibility issues, and now, the latest version of Flash Player keeps crashing.   The UAC is a pain in the arse, but one feels 'guilty' for turning it off.  Given the choice, I'd revert to XP tomorrow. 
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Yep have had a few niggles but not so bad although my work desktop seems to blue screen sometimes which I think is down to a buggy driver.

cavillas

Quote from: pctech on Sep 01, 2013, 18:28:07
Windows 8 is very different to what you have used before.
If you download a small free programme called classic start menu then you wouldn't notice the difference form windows 7 setup, except that it would be faster and more reliable.  I have been using windows 8 since it first came ontom the market and never had a problem.  I really like the speed and reliability also switching to the other windows screen you can get free apps that can download utube vids and music plus lots of other free stuff.

I believe that once trying it for a few days you will soon get used to it, especially using classic start menu, and will not want to go back to windows 7 or xp.

Give it a whirl.  I got the pro version for £24 when it came out and have bitlocker and lots of other useful stuff.
------
Alf :)

pctech

Prob just better going for Win 7.

Den

Well I for one would not go back to any earlier system have having used W8 from the day it was released. I'm looking forward to October to see how Windows 8.1 shapes up.  I have Classic start on my spare computer and it's very good indeed but so far I have resisted putting it on my main computer and will wait and see how I feel after October.

I worked at a computer business about 12 months ago were the guy there refused to work on anything other than XP. He is now out of work as you have to move on and keep up other wise you get left behind.
Mr Music Man.

pctech

I'd def not go back to XP (had to use it again recently at work as one system I have to now use won't run under 7 but is due to the replaced shortly anyway) and am not averse to change as if I were I'd not have been in IT very long.

I think it works so much better on a touch screen than with a mouse.

Broadback

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice. I now have a new PC running Windows 8, not a bad as I feared. I was up and limping in an hour, walking by the end of the day. Now 24 hours later I am almost running,just a few programs to add.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Simon

Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.