Fibre installed

Started by Gary, Sep 24, 2013, 10:21:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Well I had my IDNet fibre installed today, BT openreach engineer not a Kellys guy which was good. ECI v2 Modem (ECI cab) even though interchangeable it seems ECI modems produce less errors with ECI cabs. Getting 77Mbps down and 17Mbps up at the moment. That will change as I am first in the cab but well happy. Hopefully this will solve my REIN issues.  :fingers:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Simon

Good to hear, hope it continues, Gary.  :thumb:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: Simon on Sep 24, 2013, 11:38:29
Good to hear, hope it continues, Gary.  :thumb:
So do I, Simon.  :fingers:

lozcart

After all your line problems that looks great Gary  :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: lozcart on Sep 24, 2013, 12:50:29
After all your line problems that looks great Gary  :thumb:
Time will tell but heres hoping. Its been going on since March and it really was getting to be tear your hair out time. Of course speeds will go down when others join me in my small but empty cab. Odd being the only connection in it  ;D so I'll enjoy that while it lasts.

sobranie

Baz

without sounding daft, why are you the only connection Gary?

Ive thought about fibre a few times but dont really know enough about it and at the moment it seems rather expensive for what you get. So if any one has the time could you give me a dummies guide to getting fibre,set up, equipment needed etc.

how it went for you when you switched and how it is now etc. any thing like that will help

Thanks  :thumb:

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Sep 24, 2013, 14:01:54
without sounding daft, why are you the only connection Gary?

Ive thought about fibre a few times but dont really know enough about it and at the moment it seems rather expensive for what you get. So if any one has the time could you give me a dummies guide to getting fibre,set up, equipment needed etc.

how it went for you when you switched and how it is now etc. any thing like that will help

Thanks  :thumb:
The cab went live last week and I live in a small village the BT guy said I was the first installation in the cab, so until other people take up fibre here which wont be long I have the new cab to myself for a tiny while, Baz. Your DGND3700 can be used with Fibre as it has a wan port. You just check to see if its available in your area, the BT/Kellys person comes out, they install a modem and wire it up (I had mine wired already) set the connection to PPPoE from PPPoA with MTU of 1492 and thats it pretty much. They will also swap your faceplate for a Vdsl one as well. Its not that expensive really my speed has gone from 9.4Mbps to 77MBps that's a huge leap, Baz. Downloads are faster, more people can be online at home at any one time without you slowing down as well.

Baz

Thanks Gary sounds easy  :) so did you get a new router Gary or you using the exchange netgear one you mentioned before.Do you expect your speed will change much when more people get connected.

Its been available for a while near me and the nearest cabinet is about 200 meters away from me, its just the price at the moment thats putting me off

yeah that is a massive leap and id easy get used to that  :laugh:

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Sep 24, 2013, 14:14:44
Thanks Gary sounds easy  :) so did you get a new router Gary or you using the exchange netgear one you mentioned before.Do you expect your speed will change much when more people get connected.

Its been available for a while near me and the nearest cabinet is about 200 meters away from me, its just the price at the moment thats putting me off

yeah that is a massive leap and id easy get used to that  :laugh:
Im using the R6300v2 Baz, its a nice router. No dead spots and great speeds all over my Bungalow. At 200 meters you should get near on full speed 80/20. I imagine it will go down over time, I have no idea by how much but its still such a vast improvement over what I had does it matter if say I lost 10Mbps? Not really. the £90 install fee hurts a bit but then its only £10 a month more than adsl2+ so its not that bad really. I started downloading a 4Gb movie about 6 mins ago and its 33% complete, and I have the iPad streaming and I'm online with the iMac too and no perceptible slowdown.

Baz

it all sounds good yeah.I might make the move one day  ;D

Yes thats the router you mentioned,dont think id get away with exchanging mine back to amazon ive had it a while now :D

Gary

Quote from: Baz on Sep 24, 2013, 14:33:08
it all sounds good yeah.I might make the move one day  ;D

Yes thats the router you mentioned,dont think id get away with exchanging mine back to amazon ive had it a while now :D
I swapped mine directly with Netgear, Baz.

lozcart

Quote from: Gary on Sep 24, 2013, 12:52:50
Time will tell but heres hoping. Its been going on since March and it really was getting to be tear your hair out time. Of course speeds will go down when others join me in my small but empty cab. Odd being the only connection in it  ;D so I'll enjoy that while it lasts.

When I changed to FTTC I was the first on our estate and therefore the first into the new cab, thankfully as other people have connected I have see no drop in speed  :evil:

Gary

Quote from: lozcart on Sep 24, 2013, 14:59:02
When I changed to FTTC I was the first on our estate and therefore the first into the new cab, thankfully as other people have connected I have see no drop in speed  :evil:
I hope I shall see the same then  ;D

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Gary on Sep 24, 2013, 16:57:47
I hope I shall see the same then  ;D

I think you should Gary :fingers: I was one of the first to be connected in my area, a busy area of London. Since then everyone has connected and I've not seen any change at all in throughput or latency.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Gary

Quote from: zappaDPJ on Sep 24, 2013, 17:19:56
I think you should Gary :fingers: I was one of the first to be connected in my area, a busy area of London. Since then everyone has connected and I've not seen any change at all in throughput or latency.
Thats good to know Zap  :thumb:

Den

Good luck Gary, I'm glad its going well for you. I'm so glad that I went for fibre as it makes such a difference and it seems so stable. On Infinity One I was told up to 38mbps and I always seem to have about 37.4mbps when I check.   ;D
Mr Music Man.

Gary

Quote from: Den on Sep 25, 2013, 07:48:59
Good luck Gary, I'm glad its going well for you. I'm so glad that I went for fibre as it makes such a difference and it seems so stable. On Infinity One I was told up to 38mbps and I always seem to have about 37.4mbps when I check.   ;D
Cheers Den. I was told 53Mbps Down so I'm very happy. Fist night in Seven months with no issues.  :fingers: Only been on it a day but that day so far has been heaven after the issues I was having. Glad yours is working well  :)