What to do with a phone line fault?

Started by Technical Ben, Oct 04, 2013, 17:41:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Technical Ben

Have a friend with a phone line fault. Their internet works fine, but the phone line is completely silent (on the test socket, tried 2 phones). When calling through to them, it just rings non-stop. I think I can hear a clicking sound corresponding with the call through, but only extremely faint on the line.

A check with BT fault finding says there is a fault between the phone and the cabinet/telegraph pole.

Is there anything else we can do to check for faults this end, as of cause it's £130 fee otherwise. :(

(Sorry if this is the wrong area to post, it's not IDNet related so kept it out of that forum. It's just general phone line trouble shooting questions. :P )
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

zappaDPJ

Doesn't a line test that detects a fault automatically raise it as a fault? I'm pretty sure it did for me.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Yes it did. I guess it's just the usual waiting game from here then. :(

zappaDPJ

Unfortunately, yes. Up to five workings days (plus the weekend) unless you live in North London where two to three weeks is currently the norm because of all the copper thefts.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Technical Ben

Hahahahahaha. BT sneaked over Monday morning and they have a new cable from the post now. All is fixed. We did go out to check (for obvious damage) and it was strange how the entire street had new cables but my friend still had the original frail, old one.  :eyebrow: