Your advice wanted: Toshiba laptop build quality these days

Started by pctech, Oct 18, 2013, 18:58:21

Previous topic - Next topic

pctech

I'm in the process of applying for a promotion at work and if successful the job will involve me attending lots of meetings but will earn me a bit more dosh.

As my handwriting is terrible I am looking to purchase a laptop machine if I get the job and my first choice would be a Toshiba.

I say this as back in a previous life I managed a fleet of Tosh Satellite Pro machines that were handed out to kids with special needs to help them in class.

The things were built like the computer equivalent of a Volvo, more recently I had to bring a Toshiba machine home when I had to do some offiste cover during the Christmas period last year and it was a very nice bit of kit with an i5 CPU.

But I just wondered how you have got on with them long term, are they still pretty sturdy or have you had issues?

All feedback gratefully received.

Polchraine

Not wonderful ...    They were good at one time but they moved towards all plastic cases and are no where near as durable as they were.  They might have been built like a brick out-house,  but not any more.

Personally I would recommend a Dell Latitude E series.   They really are built to survive.     I have a 7 year old D series that has been taken around the world.  It is carried everywhere across bumpy tracks in Africa, in hot an cold and without problems and has been dropped.  The Hard Drive is removed frequently for security and is locked away, it takes 2 seconds or 10 if you have the screw fitted.   3-year warranty extended to five and just before expiry the keyboard was replaced along with a cracked bezel.    Theyy are the only real business grade laptops around, in my opinion.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Baz

Yeah I would agree with Polchraine a bit on the build quality of Toshiba lately.I have bought a couple over the last few years and they have indeed gone down hill a bit,also seen some Satellite Pro models at my work for the teachers and they too are not what they used to be. Filled with cr*p software too,but that's the same on all makes I guess.The best ones i've bought within the last 5 years have been Asus.solid build,had only a little of their own software they pre install,back up disc included...one even had the option to downgrade back to an earlier windows version if you wanted.

Its all personal choice in the end, dont let me put you off

zappaDPJ

I've had two. One I bought for nearly £2,000 well over 15 years ago and the other for £500 7-8 years ago. Both eventually died but both got used and abused extensively for years without any problems. I looked at buying another one a year a two ago but they clearly now cater for a different market, the budget end. Plastic, slow and riddled with bloatware is how I'd describe them now unfortunately.
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

pctech

Thanks all, that's unfortunate to hear.

The one I used did have a custom software image on it so just had the software our internal IT insists on being present.

Guess I'll have to look at HP or others then, any suggestions?

Polchraine

Quote from: pctech on Oct 19, 2013, 20:51:33
Thanks all, that's unfortunate to hear.

The one I used did have a custom software image on it so just had the software our internal IT insists on being present.

Guess I'll have to look at HP or others then, any suggestions?

See my comment above ... Dell Latitude.     And to add that if you change the HDD or memory (which are easy), it will not invalidate the warranty on the rest.
I'm desperately trying to figure out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

pctech

Thanks, will def take a look if I get the job.

Just putting the finishing touches to the application before sending it off via e-mail.

Technical Ben

It's a good thing to check around. If you have the chance, check the model/suppliers website for complaints/faults. As I've seen a few models from every brand with production/manufacturing faults. Helps avoid surprises. But that only counts for models that have been out a month or two.
I use to have a signature, then it all changed to chip and pin.

Steve

Must admit I look at the case structure firstly and foremost, it's afterall a  portable device. The innerads tend to be the  same across the brands
Steve
------------

Gary

Justina's gor one for her mum, all aluminium case great, build quality, works better than some bloated Laptops.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Glenn

Quote from: Steve on Oct 21, 2013, 11:31:57
Must admit I look at the case structure firstly and foremost, it's afterall a  portable device. The innerads tend to be the  same across the brands

I wouldn't buy a Dell Latitude E5430 (we have 2500ish at work) they look like they have been built down to a price rather than up to a spec, the case looks like it was an after thought.
Glenn
--------------------

Technical Ben

If you wanted something like that, they'd send a Raspberri Pi! :D

pctech

I shall prob take a trip to John Lewis and have a look if I get the job.

pctech

Glenn

Been looking at a Pi with thoughts of running a version XBMC on it, http://www.raspbmc.com/
Glenn
--------------------

pctech

The laptop will go back to the drawing board now as unfortunately I was unsuccessful with my application I was informed today.

Clive

zappaDPJ

zap
--------------------

pctech

Thanks

Feedback I had was that I did not provide enough detail in the examples I gave.

I deliberately kept my responses short and to the point as I get nervous in interviews and so either start mumbling or gabbling or both.

Technical questions no issue at all its the 'can you give an example of...' that leave me in a cold sweat.

Technical Ben

Same here.
"Can you give an example of a serendipitous customer relations expedient transfer of excellence management contingency"... Well, um, my customer was happy I did a great job.  :dunno:

pctech

Much as I love my current employer I'm getting the feeling its probably time to move to pastures new.