Anyone else seeing dodgy throughput

Started by andrue, Oct 22, 2013, 17:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

andrue

I just thought I'd run a couple of speed tests and I'm getting some dodgy results especially from multi-threading:

Ignore the initial peak that's pre-existing from Kaspersky AV.

zappaDPJ

No problems here. In fact I've just recorded my best ever result for this line.

A local issue perhaps?
zap
--------------------

This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Kobe

zappaDPJ

That's actually quite unusual, it's normally 7ms  ;D
zap
--------------------

lozcart

It's people watching the Apple event and then downloading subsequent operating system updates  ;)

Steve

Steve
------------

mervl

I usually find the multi-threading test on my line gives between a quarter and a half the speed of the "normal" TBB test. No idea why. I've decided speedtests are for entertainment purposes only  8-).

Reya

Mine's been awful tonight. Packet loss since about 8pm-ish, and this page just took roughly four minutes to load! Pings and traceroutes seem fine, but my TBBQM looks like this:

I might call Support tomorrow, since my minimum latency dropped to 20ms two days ago after I'd unplugged the router for the duration of a thunderstorm, and I've had intermittent packet loss since then. Before that, my minimum latency was about 30ms and not a single blip of packet loss for weeks. As soon as that latency drops = packet loss. I'm thinking this could be interleaving going on and off? The last time this happened (again, after unplugging during a thunderstorm) I had to endure 10 days of packet loss before everything went kaput for 5 minutes (100% loss). When it came back up, average latency was 30ms again (interleaving switched back on?)

If it is interleaving, then I'm not sure if it's possible to get that set permanently at the exchange, or not. All I know is that, when my minimum latency is 30ms, I have no packet loss issues whatsoever!

Editing to add a speed test, just carried out. My connection is supposed to be 8Mbps:

*muttergrumbles as she heads for bed*

I was cut out to be rich but got sewn up wrong.

mervl

I'm getting a similar sort of packet loss tonight (on London Stepney Green PoP), but with no other symptoms (yet).

jane

Same packet loss here (Cornwall). My graph is almost identical to Reya's.

zappaDPJ

From what I can see everyone on an IDNet connection (ADSL and FTTC) had the same.
zap
--------------------

Simon

Have to say, I didn't notice any issues, but admittedly, wasn't doing much online last night.
Simon.
--

psp83

I noticed the packet loss but didn't really use my connection much.

Like I notice there's packet loss again today (TBB graph in my sig)

Bill

Last night was no doubt Mavericks' fault, but no obvious reason for today's... unless everyone is streaming a christening :dunno:

LONAP traffic
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Adrian

Still lousy here

Sorry, can't get TBB quality graph to show up here, here's a Traceroute instead.

1. 192.168.1.254                                                                                           0.0%    13    0.5   0.5   0.4   0.6   0.1
2. telehouse-gw4-lo1.idnet.net                                                                             0.0%    13  251.0 290.3 118.7 419.2  87.3
3. 212.69.63.184                                                                                           0.0%    13  243.9 283.9 205.6 396.7  65.0
4. redbus-gw5-gi2-1276.idnet.net                                                                           0.0%    13  241.8 275.4 172.9 428.2  87.7
5. redbus-gw1-gi5-0-301.idnet.net                                                                          0.0%    12  252.8 266.2  84.8 415.3 108.3
6. www.idnet.net                                                                                           0.0%    12  244.7 264.1  21.8 418.7 113.0
Adrian

JamesAllen

Ah so it's not just me. Was noticing awful problems with YouTube 720p streaming so did a speed test and getting between 2mb and 5mb whereas it should be blasting up over 12mb.

Just checked the ping monitor:

Nasty. I was lucky last night that I only started online gaming past 11pm. Hope this get's fixed soon or tonight's session will be off.

Adrian

Adrian

Reya

I've only just got online, but even without my computer being switched on I've had packet loss all morning until now (and likely to continue *sigh*) -

Adrian's graph wins the internet, though. That is, if he can get the internet to work  ;D

Gary

I seem to have lost 40Mbps on my download but upload is ok  :rant2: not what I needed.
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

brian_idnet

Hi,

We have done some investigation across our network and cannot see anything causing the issue. We suspect this may be some busy peering links due to the latest Apple software updates so should ease over the next day or so.

Kind regards,

Brian
IDNet

Adrian

It is working after a fashion, but it's probably more exciting watching the grass grow.
:laugh:
Adrian

JamesAllen

syserr0r

FTTC, Typical speeds before today are 65Mb Down, 18Mb up.

Support are blaming saturated peer's due to the Apple Maverick Update/Event Livecasting and expect the issue to be resolved by tomorrow :fingers:.

Quote from: JamesAllen on Oct 23, 2013, 15:58:22
Bloody Apple.
Indeed :shake:

Reya

patc57

I've been seeing packet loss since last night also - but what stuck out to me was it was between my router and the first IDnet hop, almost as if the BT backhaul is having issues. There doesn't seem to be any problems on my line itself, the router is hardwired and hasn't been touched (aside from rebooted) after 2 years of solid service.

I'm on FTTC. Reported this to IDNet last night - said they would get back to me but haven't. The patterns your graphs show are exactly the same as the patterns I'm seeing. I've never seen this happen before.

Can I ask any of you who also are experiencing this issue to download WinMTR (http://winmtr.net/download-winmtr/) and run a test that lasts at least 100 packets to www.idnet.net - the problem seems really intermittent, like it fades in and out every minute or so - 100 packets will give you an idea of where the packet loss is occurring. This is my result:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                              FTTC-IDNET -    0 |  100 |  100 |    1 |    2 |    5 |    2 |
|             telehouse-gw2-lo1.idnet.net -    3 |   93 |   91 |   13 |   20 |   95 |   15 |
|                           212.69.63.247 -    4 |   89 |   86 |   13 |   17 |  103 |   14 |
|            redbus-gw2-gi3-331.idnet.net -    2 |   97 |   96 |   13 |   14 |   16 |   14 |
|          redbus-gw1-gi5-0-301.idnet.net -    5 |   85 |   81 |   13 |   14 |   16 |   16 |
|                           www.idnet.net -    4 |   89 |   86 |   13 |   14 |   16 |   15 |

I run a streaming service and administer many servers around the world so this is hurting a little for me.

For what it's worth I've got a second FTTC connection (to BT) served on the same incoming cable and cabinet which is absolutely fine.

Pat