Anyone else seeing dodgy throughput

Started by andrue, Oct 22, 2013, 17:56:30

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesAllen

Quote from: Bill on Oct 24, 2013, 10:22:46
Or users develop some patience instead of wanting it NOW :P

Never going to happen.  ;D
Even my 64 year old Dad proudly posted a picture of his newly updated laptop on Facebook yesterday. He was even worse with iOS 7 - constantly checking the update service.. Sigh..

lozcart

Yesterday evening I updated two Macs to Mavericks and then the relevant App updates, iPad iOS and Apps updated and iPhone*2 iOS and Apps updated, the total download for the day was nearly 25GB. I sometimes only use that in a month!

So yes certainly for me the last few days has seen me hammer my idnet connection.

Gary

Mine has slowed down to 40Mbps yet again  :mad:
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

patc57

Yeah this is still occurring for me. A nice long test for you over the last 30 minutes or so showing 2-3% packet loss at the first hurdle:

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|                                      WinMTR statistics                                   |
|                       Host              -   %  | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
|                              FTTC-IDNET -    0 | 1263 | 1263 |    1 |    2 |    7 |    3 |
|             telehouse-gw2-lo1.idnet.net -    2 | 1177 | 1155 |   13 |   19 |  181 |   17 |
|                           212.69.63.247 -    3 | 1161 | 1135 |   13 |   14 |   62 |   14 |
|            redbus-gw2-gi3-331.idnet.net -    3 | 1137 | 1105 |   13 |   14 |   17 |   15 |
|          redbus-gw1-gi5-0-301.idnet.net -    3 | 1149 | 1120 |   13 |   14 |  207 |   16 |
|                           www.idnet.net -    3 | 1157 | 1130 |   13 |   14 |   20 |   15 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|

It definitely improved overnight. Seems something's wrong with the bits we can't see, before it gets to Telehouse, as shown earlier.

Gary

Quote from: patc57 on Oct 24, 2013, 15:53:18
Yeah this is still occurring for me. A nice long test for you over the last 30 minutes or so showing 2-3% packet loss at the first hurdle:

It definitely improved overnight. Seems something's wrong with the bits we can't see, before it gets to Telehouse, as shown earlier.
Two days of this is now getting to be annoying. I know ist just the interwebs but the yoyo line is not great for gaming at all. Can it still be people downloading Apple stuff?  :( After 10pm last night and this morning I was back up to 69Mbps now its bouncing around from minute to minute

Tacitus

As an old Mac hand I never update to the latest version of OSX straightaway, but generally wait until the second or third iteration.  In the meantime the apps catch up and the worst of the bugs get shaken out.  Mind you I did stream the live event via Apple TV.

Pages seems to be this years attempt at another Maps fiasco as they appear to be turning a perfectly decent word processor and layout programme into a pos.

A flavour of the comments can be seen here:  http://bit.ly/1agUYo8

Personally I use Nisus Writer Pro and Word when I'm forced to, but Pages was very good at doing layouts.

Gary

Quote from: Tacitus on Oct 24, 2013, 16:02:51
As an old Mac hand I never update to the latest version of OSX straightaway, but generally wait until the second or third iteration.  In the meantime the apps catch up and the worst of the bugs get shaken out.

Pages seems to be this years attempt at another Maps fiasco as they appear to be turning a perfectly decent word processor and layout programme into a pos.

A flavour of the comments can be seen here:  http://bit.ly/1agUYo8

Personally I use Nisus Writer Pro and Word when I'm forced to, but Pages was very good at doing layouts.
Last Year ML was ok Mavericks is definitely not. tbh I don't mind who uses it and who doesn't, I  just want my internet speed to remain constant.  :)

JamesAllen

So with the congestion on the way to IDNet does that infer that the issue here is IDNet customers downloading the update, rather than the rest of the country?

Gary

Quote from: JamesAllen on Oct 24, 2013, 17:20:23
So with the congestion on the way to IDNet does that infer that the issue here is IDNet customers downloading the update, rather than the rest of the country?
I would imagine isp's like AAISP have Apple users too and no mention of issues there. Apple release a OS X update once a year and last year there was no issues from what I remember.  :-\

psp83

Quote from: Gary on Oct 24, 2013, 17:23:59
Apple release a OS X update once a year and last year there was no issues from what I remember.  :-\

There was packet loss on the same night and following day when iOS 7 was released though.

Fizzy

Just checked and my throughput is back up to it's normal self on both tests off thinkbroadband.    :D  :thumb:

I did notice that I was disconnected from idnet at 2am this morning for a short while (broadband was up) so suspect there may have been some work or rebalancing connections about that time which probably sorted the issue out for me. 

andrue

Going bad again tonight it seems. Oh well I'm mostly out anyway and little I do really needs the speed or low latency.

mervl

FTTC is having a massive effect on the volume of internet traffic, and it's going to get worse.  ::) Just perhaps those of us downloading all at once because we can, need to think of others? Even my dog realises he doesn't eat the whole 12kg bad of food at once just because it's there. But we're British = idiots.

Gary

Quote from: mervl on Oct 24, 2013, 18:50:43
FTTC is having a massive effect on the volume of internet traffic, and it's going to get worse.  ::) Just perhaps those of us downloading all at once because we can, need to think of others? Even my dog realises he doesn't eat the whole 12kg bad of food at once just because it's there. But we're British = idiots.
Yet other ISP's are fine...I think t more to do with bandwidth as Simon said earlier on that some notion of think before you download   ;)

andrue

Looks like it recovered while I was out. Certainly back to normal now:

Bill

I seems to have started again... it can't still be Mavericks :mad:

Ignore the spike, that was me.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Simon

BT problems?  Floods?  Damage from fallen trees?  :dunno:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Bill

Not enough bandwidth?

It could be what you suggest, but it's following the same pattern as last week... if it happens again tomorrow, I'll stick with my idea.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Reya

Absolutely horrendous tonight. I'm getting packet loss left, right, and centre. Half the sites I try are either churning away and not loading at all, or are taking upwards of minutes to load. :(

I was cut out to be rich but got sewn up wrong.

Simon

There was an update on this today.  The problems should hopefully ease from Thursday:

http://www.idnetters.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,31445.msg719675.html#msg719675
Simon.
--

Reya

Thanks for that, Simon (she says, after waiting a minute and a half for the reply page to load). Only one more day to wait, then. Oy!
I was cut out to be rich but got sewn up wrong.

Simon

It's quite weird though, as personally, I've not had any issues.  Page loaded in  0.182 seconds.  :dunno:
Simon.
--

psp83

The forum does have its funny 5 mins now and again for me as well, I reported it to Zap the other day.

It might be the bandwidth issues or something going wrong with the forum db/server... But it'll be hard to tell with the bandwidth issue at the mo.

Gary

Sometimes the forum is unbearably slow for me as well. Pages take ages to load, once again not sure if its a bandwidth issue or forum one. It does seem to be FTTC users that are effected most, I wonder why.

zappaDPJ

I'm also finding this forum quite slow to respond more often than not but it's been the same elsewhere else off and on during the last few days so it might be due to the current bandwidth issues which I have to say are becoming more than a little tedious. BBC iPlayer for example buffers continually.
zap
--------------------