AVG AntiVirus

Started by Broadback, Oct 25, 2013, 11:42:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Broadback

I am still in the process of building my new machine. As a fan of AVG I have downloaded the free version. 2 things, first the little logo has changed, instead of the spinning one when working it has a coloured square, I miss the old one. Secondly it keeps telling me that there is a Trojan when I am trying to load some Microsoft programs, which I think is very unlikely. Any reliable free options out there? It was provided with Macfee, which is not cheap and I don't like it anyway.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Steve

Microsoft  Security Essentials for Windows 7 (free), Windows 8 contains Windows Defender for AV and malware protection so no real need to add to it. Two separate AV products on one machine is never good news.
Steve
------------
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

Simon

Further, I've heard of more people having viruses and malware, having used AVG, than with any other security product.  For a free product, I've heard good things about MSE, so although I've never used it myself, I would agree with Steve. 
Simon.
--

Broadback

Thanks, I've got rid of AVG, I'd read that Windows 8 had built in protection, but no idea if i need to do anything to activate them.
Nothing is perfect, not even my ignorance!

Ray

Have a look in 'Action Centre' under 'Security' that will tell you whether it's active or not, it probably is if you no other AV installed or you would be getting a warning message from Action Centre on the Taskbar notification area.
Ray
--------------------

Simon

Simon.
--

psp83

Don't install MSE

Microsoft have themselves recently said MSE is just for BASIC protection and is aimed at the lower end of AV charts & misses quite a lot.

If you want a good FREE AV, install Avast Free. Its what I use on most of my PC's

Simon

Have to be honest, I've never really trusted any of the free products.  I simply don't 'get' the claims that a free product offers the same protection as a paid one, especially from the same company. 

You can pick up dirt cheap (legit) licences for Bitdefender on eBay, which is an all encompassing security suite, and comes top in most ratings for detection and protection.  Support for the product is poor, but once installed, it's very much 'set and forget'. 
Simon.
--

peterbeaumont

I'd be a bit wary of the latest version of Avast (2014 v9...) there are numerous issues with it, according to their users forum http://forum.avast.com/
I've had to revert to the last version 8.0.1497 until the new one settles down - it seems to be struggling to cover the whole spectrum between Windows XP and 8.1

psp83

Quote from: peterbeaumont on Oct 25, 2013, 16:09:30
I'd be a bit wary of the latest version of Avast (2014 v9...) there are numerous issues with it, according to their users forum http://forum.avast.com/
I've had to revert to the last version 8.0.1497 until the new one settles down - it seems to be struggling to cover the whole spectrum between Windows XP and 8.1

Working fine for me on 8.1 and 7 ;D

J!ll

cavillas

Been using MSE and now defender on 8 for years.  Never picked up a virus etc.  Mind you I am careful what I download and what my emails contain.  It only takes a bit of common sense.
------
Alf :)

talos