More speed problems today

Started by davecollins, Oct 25, 2013, 12:05:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_idnet

I have now placed yet another bandwidth upgrade order with BT!

Bill

Thanks Simon.

:fingers: that it fixes it, and  :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: :fingers: that BT don't have another "System Error" :whistle:
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

sobranie

Thanks Simon. I share your frustration at IDNet It's almost as if BT are deliberately sabotaging your efforts.

Simon

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 12, 2013, 16:10:56

What, so the second one failed as well?  :slap:
Simon.
--
This post reflects my own views, opinions and experience, not those of IDNet.

jane

Gary

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 12, 2013, 16:10:56
Bit confused, did IDNet need yet more, of did the one that was said to have gone though last week fail in actuality?  :-\
Damned, if you do damned if you don't

Tacitus

Quote from: Gary on Nov 12, 2013, 23:49:24
Bit confused, did IDNet need yet more, of did the one that was said to have gone though last week fail in actuality?  :-\
This confused me as well.  Are IdNet experiencing a massive unexpected increase in demand for bandwidth or are BT failing miserably in dealing with their requirements?  Or both?

Simon's updates are welcome but there does seem to be more to the problems than just BT incompetence in failing to execute their order in a timely manner. 

Reya

Well, that was fun  :o

QuoteC:\Users\Reya>ping bbc.co.uk
Ping request could not find host bbc.co.uk. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\Reya>ping google.com
Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\Reya>tracert google.com
Unable to resolve target system name google.com.

I guess an early night is called for. I could do with the extra sleep  :laugh:
I was cut out to be rich but got sewn up wrong.

Bill

Just for a change, mmy BQM is fine, just a few red dots along the top :dunno:

(Though even they shouldn't really be there}

Speed test is a bit wobbly:

Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

davecollins

Quote from: Bill on Nov 14, 2013, 20:19:33
Just for a change, mmy BQM is fine, just a few red dots along the top :dunno:

(Though even they shouldn't really be there}

Same here. Could be better but not too bad.

davecollins

And today the packet loss continues. Again. Will this ever be resolved?

Hint: idnet support are free to contribute their thoughts. Especially as they suggested that I use this forum.

Steve

True! There was a brief spurt about 11 ish and it's lurking still.
Steve
------------

Simon_idnet

We have traced the cause of this problem to a corporate customer who supplies video content to marketing kiosks installed at several large supermarket chains. The kiosks are connected by broadband lines, supplied by us, back to their content server. Whenever new content is 'published' on the server several hundred kioks all start to immediately download the new content, at the same time!

With thier consent we are going to rate-limit the content server so that the content is installed at a more measured pace.

Bill

I thought it seemed an odd traffic pattern, but I never thought of supermarkets :eek4:

Thanks Simon.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Lance

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 15, 2013, 16:18:21
We have traced the cause of this problem to a corporate customer who supplies video content to marketing kiosks installed at several large supermarket chains. The kiosks are connected by broadband lines, supplied by us, back to their content server. Whenever new content is 'published' on the server several hundred kioks all start to immediately download the new content, at the same time!

With thier consent we are going to rate-limit the content server so that the content is installed at a more measured pace.

Thanks Simon. Amscreen by any chance?
Lance
_____

Tacitus

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 15, 2013, 16:18:21
We have traced the cause of this problem to a corporate customer who supplies video content to marketing kiosks installed at several large supermarket chains.

Thanks Simon.  It's not a problem that has affected me directly but it's good to know that you've found the source.

Do you have another date from BT for the additional bandwidth installation?

Kobe

:lmao:    think once our year is up (FTTC) we'll be switching to Zen.

Bill

Mine's been fine, and so have the others I've been able to look at:

Your's may have been something comparatively local, but I'll wait for the graphs for a few weekdays before passing judgement.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Steve

I've only seen it on one of the admins graphs today all the other show no packet loss.
Steve
------------

Simon_idnet

Kobe, the timings on your BQM graphs match exactly to periods of very high usage on your broadband line: between 2pm and 4:30pm - 15,840MB down and 14,486MB up. Between 9pm and 10pm - 4,420MB down and 5,324MB up. Those periods of heavy upstream utilisation would have caused your graph spikes.

Tacitus, the BT lead-time is 5 working days so that should take effect tomorrow.

Gary

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 18, 2013, 09:24:00
Kobe, the timings on your BQM graphs match exactly to periods of very high usage on your broadband line: between 2pm and 4:30pm - 15,840MB down and 14,486MB up. Between 9pm and 10pm - 4,420MB down and 5,324MB up. Those periods of heavy upstream utilisation would have caused your graph spikes.

Tacitus, the BT lead-time is 5 working days so that should take effect tomorrow.
Not the packet loss though surely, Simon. That's local to Kobe by the looks of things.

Bill

Quote from: Gary on Nov 18, 2013, 10:04:02
Not the packet loss though surely, Simon. That's local to Kobe by the looks of things.

The high data rate (it's ~14Mbps) could cause that- they're only ping packets that are being lost, and if the router is working hard it may well not respond to them before tbb's pingbox gives up. Iirc it only waits 500mSec.
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6

Gary

Quote from: Bill on Nov 18, 2013, 10:15:00
The high data rate (it's ~14Mbps) could cause that- they're only ping packets that are being lost, and if the router is working hard it may well not respond to them before tbb's pingbox gives up. Iirc it only waits 500mSec.
Cheers Bill  :thumb:

Simon_idnet

Quote from: Bill on Nov 18, 2013, 10:15:00

I can't tell the data rate but over 14GB was uploaded in around 2 hours. That level of saturation will cause packets to be dropped.

Bill

Quote from: Simon_idnet on Nov 18, 2013, 13:21:35
I can't tell the data rate but over 14GB was uploaded in around 2 hours. That level of saturation will cause packets to be dropped.

I just used a simple calculation from the download of ~16GB in 2½ hours to get a rough idea of the speeds involved- 16,000/150/60*8 is about 14Mbps. Close enough for what I wanted ;D

Odd that up- and download speeds  and volumes are similar... p2p?
Bill
BQMs-  IPv4  IPv6